Flu Treatment.. (Read 579 times)

You're correct. I didn't mean to suggest that was universally true. I just remember growing some E.Coli that thrived at 37 growing on 4-flouro tryptophan which should have been toxic (I initially wrote 38 incorrecty. It's been a few years). But the same stuff died at 38 or 39. We were doing forced evolution of bacterial species which was pretty interesting stuff. In the case of our E. Coli that grew on the toxic substrate we later sequenced it to search for adaptive mutations.
    Sounds like a fun project. I looked at your profile on some earlier thread and thought to myself, "Why does an attorney talk like a microbiology student?" Oh, because you were one.
    Heroes never die. They just reload.

The Greatest of All Time

Sounds like a fun project. I looked at your profile on some earlier thread and thought to myself, "Why does an attorney talk like a microbiology student?" Oh, because you were one.
      Lol. That gets a lot of people. I have a B.S. in biochem, and a B.A. in physical anthropology with a minor in microbiology. So I had a lot of science in college. In fact, I think I over did it which led me to law school. Some stuff I remember (Claisen condensation) and some not so much (anti-body genetic variation). I practice in employment law including workers' compensation so I get to review lots of medical records and depose doctors all the time. It's enough to scratch my nerdy science geek itch. The anatomy and physiology I learned in my anthro classes really helps me on a daily basis and I have learned a ton about orthopedics, especially low backs, shoulders, and knees which make up 95% of the injuries I litigate. I haven't thought about that project I wrote about earlier in a long time. I was assisting a graduate student who I helped write a paper that we submitted to a few journals, Science being one of them. We got scooped. That was a bummer.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        We got scooped. That was a bummer.
        Gah...don't say the S word. It's the reason I've been working 12 and 14 hr days all the time lately, there are people breathing down my neck as we speak. Grow faster, cells! and...complete threadjack, sorry.
        Heroes never die. They just reload.

The Greatest of All Time

Gah...don't say the S word. It's the reason I've been working 12 and 14 hr days all the time lately, there are people breathing down my neck as we speak. Grow faster, cells! and...complete threadjack, sorry.
          I considered doing a PhD in Virology, but chose otherwise because of what you're going through right now. Even doing undergraduate work 20 hours per week was bad enough. Nothing like doing PCR reactions all week and then getting no results. Or finding out 2 weeks later you have an RNAse problem and your Pipetemen are all contaminated. Argghhh!!! The grad students in my lab were always there. I mean always.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I doubt that I have ever had true influenza. It's sort of a very misused generic term that people throw around to indicate they are sick, when they most likely have a cold.
            Thank your for making that excellent point. I know someone who has "the flu" about four or five times a year. BS. Having a crappy bug is one thing. When you really have The Flu, you feel like you got hit by a two-ton heavy thing.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The Greatest of All Time

Thank your for making that excellent point.
              No charge Wink I am thinking no tournament invite for those pesky Buckeyes. Tom Izzo's boys put a hurtin' on them. Texas is in though, and they beat the other OSU today or as we Big 12 people call them "Okie Light"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

No charge Wink I am thinking no tournament invite for those pesky Buckeyes. Tom Izzo's boys put a hurtin' on them. Texas is in though, and they beat the other OSU today or as we Big 12 people call them "Okie Light"
                Whoo hoo! Go Longhorns! (whew, my dad will be in a good mood when I talk to him next...)