Water Station Etiquette? (Read 1427 times)

here's a link to runners world with a post from Geetah..

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/training/marathon-race-training/geetah-straw/.1

Thanks for the link, that's pretty neat.  I have heard of them refereed to as Geetah straws, that's where I learned about them, but had no idea why.....didn't know Geetah was a person.  That guy deserves a plaque somewhere.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

If you can't hit the trash can, don't wad up your cup and throw it.  It's a lot easier to stack cups when the volunteers pick them off the ground if they are not crumpled. 

Never thought of that.  Thanks for sharing

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

This is only tangentially related to your original question but I will throw it out there anyway.

Get one of the wider hard plastic straws that come with kids cups at a lot of restaurants.  Cut it down to about the height of a paper cup + 2 inches and carry it with you.  In the water stop drop the straw in and suck the water out.  You don't have to tilt head or try to coordinate drinking nearly as much, it is much easier to get the fluid you need.

That's even better... Never ever saw this or thought of this.  But there is nothing worse than getting a 4oz cup of water and having 2oz of it spill as you're trying to run.  A straw mechanism like you describe is a great idea.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

This is very cool.

Asked as a sign of my ignorance: What is the correct pronounciation of "Geetah"?

Rhymes with cheetah or sounds like guitar?

2017 Goals
          1) Run more than 231 miles
          2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Put your arm out?  Huh?

I'm sure you don't mean "clothesline the guy who was unwittingly right behind you", but I'm not sure what you mean.

Ha ha ha!

Not, not quite what I mean.  When I'm making a turn I let my arm drift away from my body, so it isn't anywhere that high.  Basically, I'm just pointing to the left or right when I'm going to turn or move to the side of the road.  Most people that are running behind you will probably be looking towards the ground, especially later in a race when they're tired, so they'll be more likely to see your arm as you point where you are going.

I had a photo somebody took of me doing it at one point, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

As with many things a little common sense goes a long way. 

Where there are several tables it's normally the case that loads of people try to use the early tables - you're often better off going for the last couple of tables.

Just look around and try not to impede other runners - if you're sensible it's normally perfectly possible to grab your drink(s) and then walk a bit whilst you drink them without getting in the way of anyone else if that's what you want to do. When it's really crowded there has to be a bit of give and take from everyone; sometimes water/feed stations are just too crowded and you're going to have to slow down a bit.

Races that charge a fortune and then don't provide enough tables to cater properly for the number of runners are not well organised - choose another race next time.

xor

The problem with waiting for the last few tables... especially in a crowded race... is that sometimes you don't know that those are the last few tables until you are past them.  So, I always skip the crowd at the first ones and then dive in (or, at very crowded races, I will skip the first few aid stations entirely).

Imminent Catastrophe

If you MUST throw your cup on the ground, toss it off to the side and not right where everyone behind you will have to step on it!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If you MUST throw your cup on the ground, toss it off to the side and not right where everyone behind you will have to step on it!

C'mon now. Some nice cup running will warm them up for the orange peel running later on.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Why is it sideways?

You people are so polite. I have to say that I make no effort to find a trashcan, and I have splashed many a volunteer. There is a bit of a mixed signal, though, right? You've got all of these people handing out water to make it as efficient as possible for racing, but then there are all of these standards for what we are supposed to do on the back-end of the water grab.

I am grateful for the volunteers, but I guess I always just thought of it as a labor of love--they want me to run fast!!

But perhaps my racing etiquette needs to be adjusted.

Geez.  I've had some flumes when trying to grab the cups without slowing down (or being coordinated) enough.  But I usually toss the empty toward the curb -- low and away.  If it had water in it, that cup is empty -- I dumped the remainder over my head.

ROSS -- the folks not taking water favor the middle of the road.  If you're going to grab and walk, you want to stay tight to the outside.  And not near the trash cans.  IIRC, Thunder Road doesn't have separate tables for water and sport drink (it's just one table and row of volunteers).  No matter where in that row you grab from, pass them all before you hit the brakes.  There'll probably be room for you to move off the line and walk without banging into volunteers, trash cans, or vomiting competitors.  (Yes, I saw all three things in 2009.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I agree with Jeff.  When I work at a water stop I don't want runners thinking about the water stop or the clean-up.  I want runners focusing on the race.  If I had a problem picking up cups after the race I wouldn't have volunteered; I do it because it's my turn.  When my club hosts a race I worry about the clean-up so you don't have to and when your club hosts a race you worry about the clean-up so I don't have to.

The only water stop etiquette I believe in is never come to a stop or to a walk in front of the tables.  Get your drink and clear the tables before you slow down and then throw your cup on the ground wherever you finish it.  It's our job to pick them up after if we're volunteering.

You are at the front of the pack, so you don't witness the carnage of destruction left from irresponsible cup tossing Wink

Seriously though, my bigger issue is with people dumping full cups of gatorade on the asphalt, it makes you lose a little traction when running through the water stop.  Not a huge issue but just enough to distract your focus on the race.

Oh roo roooo!

Seriously though, my bigger issue is with people dumping full cups of gatorade on the asphalt, it makes you lose a little traction when running through the water stop.  Not a huge issue but just enough to distract your focus on the race.

See, for me it's not the loss of traction (unless maybe cold enough to freeze?) but the resulting slight stickiness to your shoes that makes that little "skritchy, skritchy, skritchy" noise for however long until it wears off.  I HATE that....

And your comment about things being very different for fast runners versus us pokey mid-packers is so true....my brother is quite fast and I am quite slow.  Sometimes when we compare notes on a race we ran, it's hard to believe we were in the same event!

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'll echo what most say:  grab the cup, continue to run through, pull off to the side and drink.  Pull WAY over to the side.

Also, bonus points for the cool over the head toss that ends up with a basket, especially while moving still, double especially if running:   Toss water cup using your arm opposite the side of the road you are on/tossing to (if you are on the left side of the road, use right arm, right side of road, use left arm), behind you and over your head as you pass the garbage, making a basket.  Make sure people are watching to see the basket for full cool factor, but still cool if only you see it.  Rim shots count too. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team