Son's Track Meet (Read 1152 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

DH and I got to see our 15-year-old (sophomore) son run in a track meet today. Usually he runs the 1600 and 3200 meter races, but today he did the 800-meter and 3200-meter (1.988 miles). He doesn't like the 800 too much, because it's so short. He ran the 800 first, in 2:09. He wasn't too happy with that time, because his PR is 2:07. By the time he got his spikes off and put his trainers on, his teammates had already started warming up for the 3200. He got a good start in the 3200, and passed up his older teammate who always beats him. Nerve-wracking for parents to watch! He was flying along, and ended up winning in 10:02, a PR by 10 seconds! His splits were 5:07 and 4:55. He said he felt so good towards the end that he ran the last 800 meters at 800-meter pace. I'm particularly happy for him, because he's a small kid (5'-6" and 105 pounds) who works his heart out. He's running 50 mpw and following his coach's instructions carefully. He's been a little bummed out the last few weeks, because his times haven't improved, so this was cool. I think high school track is a wonderful sport, and it's fun to watch these kids progress. His teammate who usually beats him also had a PR - 4:29 in the mile. OK, Mom is done bragging now.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow...he is FAST! 50 miles/week in HS? I can't imagine that. Though my HS classmate who was recently in the women's olympic marathon trials was running before and after school most days, so I imagine she was running some pretty high miles back in the day--relative to most of us, anyway.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wow, I never touched anything over 35 miles per week in high school and he's only a freshman... Those are some great times. Tell him that he shouldn't be disappointed with a 2:09 - that's really close to his 2:07 and is still flying right along! It's also good that he's able to use his 800m kick at the end of the 3200m. Maine doesn't have a 5k track race for boys in high school, does it? Who is his coach, is it anybody that I know?

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

mikeymike

That's awesome. He's got a bright future in the sport. I wish I'd had the sense to figure out track was my best sport before it was too late. It hurts to even think about what I could have a done on 50 mpw at that age.

Runners run

That's great! He'll definitely have a great high school career. On our track/XC team, most guys are doing at least 50 a week, and all right now are doing 70 except for me and a few others. Most of our girls are doing 42 or 49 per week. Those really are some great times, be proud!

Non ducor, duco.

Teresa Congrats to your boy! I can't imagine how nerve-racking to watch him. I can hardly make it through a tennis match or soccer game with my son and it would be worse if it was track. That is so awesome! Did he inspire you to run?
                Congratulations to your son Teresa! Sounds like he's a star that's only going to burn brighter as time goes by.
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, guys! Wow, Ryan, that's a lot of miles. I guess DS will ramp up some each year. I wonder when he will sleep! He's taking some hard classes next year. Blaine, Logan is a sophomore this year (late birthday). His coach at Greely is David Dowling, who does a great job. He was Ben True's coach. Greely has won a lot of the XC state championships the last 10 years or so. The kids run up to two miles in indoor track, and 3200 meters in outdoor track. 5k is only in XC. For Logan, the longer the distance the better!

The kids run up to two miles in indoor track, and 3200 meters in outdoor track. 5k is only in XC. For Logan, the longer the distance the better!
                    That's what I thought. In CT, they have the 5k on the outdoor track and at some of the bigger indoor track meets.

Run to Win

That is awesome about your son, Teresa. Don't stop the bragging, either!
                        Hi Teresa, Great job by your son. He should be peaking just about now as it's time for the real competetion as well as states. I certainly know all about the nerve wrecking experiences after having two son's in track and CC. Blaine, most states have dropped the 5K from the high school program. Mostly due to equality of women sports. Since the women didn't do the 5K it was dropped form the boys program so that they have equal number of events. Actually makes it easier on some of the kids, but doesn't prepare them for longer distances in college. In HS, by youngest would run the 800, 1600, 3200 and 5K all in a single meet, while the other (a year older) would run the 1600, 3200 and 5K. I always expressed my concern over that, especially for meets where they didn't need the scoring.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

In HS, by youngest would run the 800, 1600, 3200 and 5K all in a single meet, while the other (a year older) would run the 1600, 3200 and 5K. I always expressed my concern over that, especially for meets where they didn't need the scoring.
                          Almost every meet my senior year in high school consisted of 5k, immiediately followed by 4x800, rest a couple of events, 1600, and then at the end of the meet the 3200. It wasn't as bad as doing the 10k/5k doubles in college, but I wasn't a huge fan. You can tell your son I sympathize with him. We had one other guy that did his max of 3 events and a relay, but 2 of those events were throws and the other 2 were sprints. I wonder which of us racked up more points that year? We definitely scored more than anybody else on the team.

Run to Win

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That's what I thought. In CT, they have the 5k on the outdoor track and at some of the bigger indoor track meets.
                            Michigan didn't have 5000m track in HS, and doesn't now to my knowledge. So it was always 4x800, 1600, and 3200 for me.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Thats awesome! I can relate on several levels....I ran track in HS and never put in the miles. Always ended up with shin splints at the end of each season. My track coach was the football coach and in hindsight, I don't think he knew much about distance running. So that is great that your son seems to have a good coach. On another level, my son plays soccer and basketball and it can be quite nerve racking to watch sometimes. You always want your kids to do well and be happy, it is nice when it all works out.
                              I grew up in CT doing the 3000 meter and 1500 meter. They didn't do the 5K in high school back in my day and while they have changed to 1600 and 3200, I am almost positve they have not added a 5K.
                              Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
                                The 5K was run in CT and at State competition up to 5 years ago when my son graduated (and at least 5 years previous to that as we knew another runner from his school who ran it). Our son qualified and ran the 5K all four years at the State Competition. Some schools did not have the 5K, such as Farmington high School, they instead had the 4X800. Other schools did not do the 4X800 but had the 5K and a few did both. At the State Competition, then ran both the 5K and the 4X800 for the boys. However they were making an effort to eliminate the 5K 5 years ago. So I just went and checked, because it's the time of year for States and found out that one of the four divisions was run yesterday and there was no 5K. Here is the website http://www.plattsys.com/results/res2008/cscout.htm Slosh252, out of curiosity, where did you go to school?
                                Thats awesome! I can relate on several levels....I ran track in HS and never put in the miles. Always ended up with shin splints at the end of each season. My track coach was the football coach and in hindsight, I don't think he knew much about distance running. So that is great that your son seems to have a good coach. On another level, my son plays soccer and basketball and it can be quite nerve racking to watch sometimes. You always want your kids to do well and be happy, it is nice when it all works out. I grew up in CT doing the 3000 meter and 1500 meter. They didn't do the 5K in high school back in my day and while they have changed to 1600 and 3200, I am almost positve they have not added a 5K.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"