Felt a force pushing, what was that? (Read 187 times)

runfall

Today when running, I kept my elbow at ~90 degree and moved my arms almost parallel to the plane of running.  It seemed to generate lot of momentum ( i had never felt that previously). At some time I could not sync my arm movement with my legs, still I kept on moving my arms.

Q.

I felt a force at the back(at the point where the two buts meet), and the force was pushing me to the front. What was that force? Was it a sign that I my arms were moving too fast compared to legs? My strides were not long, and I was propelling less compared to other days. In fact today I had no pain at all. Please let me know what was that force that was pushing me?

"background"

I am new to running. Started 3 months ago. Since a month I have been running 5miles a day. I run every day. I also do Yoga every day. I run on road. Fore-feet striker. I do try to dorsiflex my feet, and try to land on balls. I am learning about running-form. Recently I read quite a few articles about hand-movement, and trying to apply them. I trying to do the drills also.

L Train

I do try to dorsiflex my feet, and try to land on balls. 

That has to be painful.

mikeymike

Please let me know what was that force that was pushing me?

That was Usain Bolt, my friend.

Runners run

The Ethiopian women don't hold their arms parallel.  They seem to do all right in the marathon.

kilkee

runktrun

You're overthinking it.  Just go run.  Seriously.  Run so that you are not thinking about your form, run for a while until it feels pretty smooth, then take stock of what your body is doing.  Most people will naturally find the most efficient way for them to run.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

#artbydmcbride

tailwind?

Runners run

HermosaBoy

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

runfall

That has to be painful.

I do not feel pain, probably because of the cushion provided by shoes (Hoka Clifton-3). Landing on ball might have also reduced knee pain.

#artbydmcbride

It will distract you from any knee pain.......

Runners run

runfall

You're overthinking it.  Just go run.  Seriously.  Run so that you are not thinking about your form, run for a while until it feels pretty smooth, then take stock of what your body is doing.  Most people will naturally find the most efficient way for them to run.

I have done decent amount of research. Just recently I came to know about arms movement.  Going forward I plan to just run and see how it goes.

runfall

It could be tail wind :-)

runfall

That was Usain Bolt, my friend.

Oh.. who is that :-)?

Hobie1

You lost me at landing on your balls.

runfall

You lost me at landing on your balls.

I meant the balls under/around toes :-)