Progressive Marathon vs 5K (Read 814 times)

Hi all, this is my first post to the forums (though I've been logging workouts here for awhile). This Sunday is the San Francisco Marathon, Half Marathon, 5K, and "Progressive Marathon". Last year I ran the 5K and was annoyed that the "Progressive Marathon" finishers who ran the exact same distance as I did that morning got a medal, whereas I didn't even get a lousy finishing ribbon. Even my local club races which cost 1/10 of what the SF Marathon 5K costs give finishing ribbons.

But it's not really the schwag that irks me, it's the concept that it's so important that someone have the word "Marathon" in the name of their race that they can have it no matter how long it takes to accumulate that 26.2 miles. I mean, I just ran about 29 miles for the week, and knew that I was going to, but deliberately signed up for the 5K* rather than the Progressive out of respect for the people doing the actual marathon and half (I've done two halves myself, have yet to do a full).

Anyway I'm probably overreacting, it's great to get more people running regardless. Just wondered what thoughts from more experienced racers are on this kind of thing.

*The real reason I still signed up for the race at all this year is an excuse to meet Dean Karnazes at the Expo, which I'll be heading to shortly ;-)

mikeymike

Just wondered what thoughts from more experienced racers are on this kind of thing.

Lets see, my thoughts in no particular order are...

Finisher's awards for a 5k are almost as goofy as the concept of a progressive marathon (which I didn't know existed until just now but I gather is some sort of contest to run the full marathon distance just maybe not all in one day?)

I prefer low key races that cater to runners over giant mega-events with long titles such as San Francisco Marathon, Half Marathon, 5k Marathon and Progressive Marathon sponsored by WiPro with special guest Dean Karnazes that resemble parades more than road races.

I would likely avoid a race just on the rumor that Dean Karnazes might be there.

...but I am a known cranky bastard so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Runners run

Lets see, my thoughts in no particular order are...

Finisher's awards for a 5k are almost as goofy as the concept of a progressive marathon (which I didn't know existed until just now but I gather is some sort of contest to run the full marathon distance just maybe not all in one day?)

I prefer low key races that cater to runners over giant mega-events with long titles such as San Francisco Marathon, Half Marathon, 5k Marathon and Progressive Marathon sponsored by WiPro with special guest Dean Karnazes that resemble parades more than road races.

I would likely avoid a race just on the rumor that Dean Karnazes might be there.

...but I am a known cranky bastard so take what I say with a grain of salt.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Hmm, if I were local, I think I'd enter the Progressive Marathon; I'd turn in my form that would have 1,463,616 one inch entries -- signed by Juan Epstein's mother.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Sorry, I should have defined Progressive Marathon more clearly. The idea is to run 23.1 miles on your own and then the final 3.1 miles on race day. There's no time limit or other restrictions on logging the miles, though you are supposed to have someone sign off on them, it can be any adult.

I don't see a problem with finishers awards for a 5K in general; it's a perfectly respectable distance. And I really like Dean Karnazes, who happens to be local...

Sorry, I should have defined Progressive Marathon more clearly. The idea is to run 23.1 miles on your own and then the final 3.1 miles on race day. There's no time limit or other restrictions on logging the miles, though you are supposed to have someone sign off on them, it can be any adult.

That's lame...  

Why is it sideways?

I don't have an opinion on the original post, but speaking of course names, I love the fact that your profile pic was taken at the Big Gay 10k.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Why is it sideways?

mikeymike

you are supposed to have someone sign off on them, it can be any adult.

So it sounds like something for kids, to expose them to running and how far a marathon is? That sounds less goofy and kind of okay, even to a cranky bastard like me.

Runners run

AnneCA

And, next time you're in San Francisco:  http://greaterthanone.org/events/santa-run/

Feeling the growl again

I don't see a problem with finishers awards for a 5K in general; it's a perfectly respectable distance. And I really like Dean Karnazes, who happens to be local...

Do I get a 100 mile belt buckle for running a 5K after a week of training then?  Seems like a dumb concept to me.

My 2-yr-old got a popsicle for finishing a kid's race.  I think I got a medal for finishing a mile race when I was perhaps 9 years old, it didn't mean much to me then.  But I can see it with kids.  I can't see why an adult would need such material edification for finishing a 5K.  Sure, it's a decent race distance, but unless you just last 100 lbs and it's a personally special moment, a finisher's award for a 5K seems hokey.  Medals I care about denote something special, I can see why many people like finisher's medals from marathons.  Virtually any upright person can finish a 5K.

MTA:  Dean K's name is one step below "Rock n' Roll" in things that make me chuck a race form.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Progressive Marathon, sponsored by ....

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Progressive Marathon, sponsored by ....

I hope they rented enough PortaJohns...don't drink the water...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

This is a kids thing right? If so that's kinda cute and could be fun for the little guys and gals. 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."