Wise Words from RAers (Read 1104 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey Zoom, In the race, focus on the current mile / k. Don't think about how many you've done or have to do. They don't matter and can cause ghost fatigue. If you hurt during a period of the race, it DOES NOT mean that you'll hurt more or the same later in the race. It can get better and often does. You're gonna fly!
    That is great advice. It was only after learning that little piece of info. that running "stuck" this time around. Every other time I'd try to take up running I'd quit after a mile or two, 'cause it hurt. Then I discovered that the first couple of miles always are nearly always kind of uncomfortable. Gotta keep those mini goals in the middle of things...pick a person to pass, a mile marker to make it through, the next gel, the next aid station.... See ya' at the finish...and save some beer for us slow-pokes! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

plenty of beer for all! I'm actually trying to be dry this week. It f^#$%$#^#$ sucks.
      And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm actually trying to be dry this week. It f^#$%$#^#$ sucks.
        I hear that! I think I've had 2 beers this week. Weak ones, too. I may allow myself one last beer tonite, then go beer-free until the finish line. It will be tough. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jeffdonahue

Okay, here is one that I usually think of towards teh end of a tough marathon - when you are slouching, slogging along and have lost all traces of good running form... "If you feel like crap, run faster - you won't feel better but at least you'll be done sooner." But to note a point, at teh end of some longer races and runs, if I speed up a little bit my form does improve (or at least my posture) and I do feel a little better as I think speeding up for a little bit can sometimes stretch out those muscles that are really tight. Best of luck Zoomy - cant wait for the race report.
          Kimmie

I wasn't going to add anything but then all of this talk of taking one mile at a time made me remember what I did at Philly. I took this idea from Kristen Armstrong who wrote about it Runners World. i dedicated each mile to either a friend or family member. I wrote their names on my shirt and I think I also wrote them on my arm so I could see them. Before the marathon, I told each person about when to be thinking of me and that I would be thinking of them during that mile. It was awesome. I had something to focus on each mile. It just kept me in a positive place. So, not a mantra but just an idea. I have been following your training here as well and I can't wait to hear your report.
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Another quote similar to Jeff's: Run like hell and get the agony over with.
              mikeymike

Run like hell and get the agony over with.
                -Clarence DeMar

Runners run

jules2

I wasn't going to add anything but then all of this talk of taking one mile at a time made me remember what I did at Philly. I took this idea from Kristen Armstrong who wrote about it Runners World. i dedicated each mile to either a friend or family member. I wrote their names on my shirt and I think I also wrote them on my arm so I could see them. Before the marathon, I told each person about when to be thinking of me and that I would be thinking of them during that mile. It was awesome. I had something to focus on each mile. It just kept me in a positive place. So, not a mantra but just an idea. I have been following your training here as well and I can't wait to hear your report.
                  That's why I only run Half Marathons I haven't got enough friends.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

-Clarence DeMar
                    Thanks for the source, Mike.

thumbs up!

Good luck Zoomie. I've lurked around, read your posts, and been inspired by your achievements. Have a great race. The weather here in WI has been great for running this week.
                      2010 Goals
                      1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
                      2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
                      3. sub 30 min 5k
                      4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
                      mikeymike

Thanks for the source, Mike.
                        No problem. He was an interesting guy, and used to live in my town.

Runners run

Kimmie, That is simply an awesome Idea... even if it's not yours.... Wink I just ran my first half ( injured with a torn soleus, talk about HTFU) and I wish I had that Idea as I got to those last few miles. The course was really hilly and tough, and I thought I would puke at the end, but I made it..... and now am happily re-habing and looking forward to getting back out there.... Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

"Slow down" Never would have gotten to 30 mpw without that tidbit. Best of luck Zoomie. Look forward to your race report!