how long can you hold a plank? (Read 384 times)

running metalhead

Dunno, I got bored at 2:00, it's actually of no use above 90 seconds if I recall correctly.
    I mean a normal plank, I use to do them with a leg raised for 1:20 each side two reps, awesome stuff, makes your butt burn but you really notice it.

A string core has very strange side effects: Before I started running I was the laughter of my wife when I carried cups of coffee, I always spilled it and when she started laughing I spilled even more... now I never spill a drop. Anoer unexpected side effect is that I am so stable that I can shoot my camera with a 50mm lens (or longer) at 1/30 with no problem, and sometimes even at 1/15 !

So, planks and bridges etc have improved my photography and helped keep my carpets clan!!!

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
    - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
    - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
    - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
    - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
    - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Dunno, I got bored at 2:00, it's actually of no use above 90 seconds if I recall correctly.
      I mean a normal plank, I use to do them with a leg raised for 1:20 each side two reps, awesome stuff, makes your butt burn but you really notice it.

A string core has very strange side effects: Before I started running I was the laughter of my wife when I carried cups of coffee, I always spilled it and when she started laughing I spilled even more... now I never spill a drop. Anoer unexpected side effect is that I am so stable that I can shoot my camera with a 50mm lens (or longer) at 1/30 with no problem, and sometimes even at 1/15 !

So, planks and bridges etc have improved my photography and helped keep my carpets clan!!!

String cores and carpet clans...they don't seem to do much for your typing!

running metalhead

LOL, just noticed it...

I'll leave it unedited, looks funnier XD...

must have been the pint of Hop Goblin English ale I gulped down after today's race  Wink

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
        - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
        - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
        - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
        - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
        - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

I held a 2 x 4 the other day, but I'm not sure how long it was - and with no recovery.

Are we talking oak or just pine?

The longest plank I've held was about 4 feet.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The longest plank I've held was about 4 feet.

Metric or Imperial feet?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Fanilow

After seeing this, I did some google research. I am divorcing the plank challenge. Thank you.

My husband just got done seeing a PT guy who told him that it's pretty pointless to try and hold a plank longer than a minute or so.  He said that your form will inevitably suffer over longer time periods and the plank becomes less and less effective at targeting the core muscles as your body struggles to hold position.  I don't know if this is true, but I use it as my excuse for not trying to hold a pank longer than a minute.

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

Wasn't sure what a plank exercise was. So, googled it and sorta reminds me of doing pushups, minus the pushing and up part. Felt it in back and belly muscles mostly. I can see how this might be a good exercise, especially if I were to attempt holding it for longer.

MTA:  My bad, 15 seconds

Current Goals: Run and stuff

bap

It's the number one abs exercise in terms of bang for the buck. It works the abs, obliques and lower back and you can do it anywhere, anytime.

Certified Running Coach
                  Crocked since 2013

Metric or Imperial feet?

Metric. I haven't trained enough to add the additional .48 cm of length.

JimR

I held a 2 x 4 the other day, but I'm not sure how long it was - and with no recovery.

I tried to hold a plank, but I got a little board.

I tried to hold a plank, but I got a little board.

You know, I thought that wood happen.

Runslowalksalot

Had my TRX class again this morning.  I found it easier to hold a plank with feet on a bosu ball and elbows on a Swiss ball with the instructor kicking the ball to keep my core extra engaged than with feet in TRX straps doing walking  pushups.    The class is a killer!!!

King of PhotoShop

Story time for me, but before I tell it,  this is a fun thread.

One day I'm out at my running club, maybe 8 years ago or so and after we're all back and sitting around drinking lemonade (and stuff), I go out to the back yard of our building to do my post-workout routine, which consists of one minute front plank and 30 seconds side planks each side.

So this other guy comes over and says he'll have me a plank contest, how long we can go for a beer. I thought this was a great idea as win or lose I'll get in a serious challenge, see what I can do.

The actual time we did it doesn't matter as I have no idea what it was, maybe 4 minutes or so, but here's what happened:

He says, "Don't get any ideas of beating me.  I watch TV with my two year old daughter sitting on my back."

That was enough for me.  Laughed my ass off.  Spareribs

Walk-Jogger

Not sure what my max planck is, and any guess would be purely theoretical.

Retired &  Loving It

#artbydmcbride

Runners run