First race in 2 years --- what to do? (Read 798 times)

I've signed up to run my first race in two years on Nov. 19th --- a local club 5K --- and I have a question about what, if anything to do between now and then.

Here's the background --- I just started running again in August after a 6 month hiatus, and I've been focused on slowly building mileage up to about 30mpw.  For the first several weeks, I did not time or log my runs, but lately I've started logging again because I want to get in shape for a spring HM.  I want to do this race mostly as a fitness test to help me set training paces. 

I'm wondering if I should try to do some intervals in the next two weeks just to try to remember what it feels like to run fast(er).  I've never done a lot a speedwork, and since starting back I've done maybe 3 tempo runs total --- most running has been slow and comfortable.  My last 5K was at 6:18 pace, but I'm not in that kind of shape now, so I'm not sure what pace I'd aim for in intervals --- I have not run a mile faster than 7:20 since 2009.  Should I just show up on race day and see what happens or try some intervals or a faster tempo run?

Thanks for any suggestions! 

JML

Given the proximity to the race, running intervals may be counterproductive.  As an alternative, I would add some strides to your easy runs a couple of times per week to reacquaint your legs with faster turnover.   Taking a brief look at your log gives me the impression that you could start off around a 7:30ish pace and pick it up at the halfway point if you feel good.  That being said, there are MANY people here who know much more than I do and will probably give you better advice.

Good luck!

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Thanks --- some strides are probably a good idea.  Since my couple of 6mi "tempos" have been around 7:45, and my HR has averaged below 160, I'm thinking of going out at a least 7:00 or actually probably faster.  I feel like I've tended to be pretty conservative in the few races I've run, and I want to learn to push harder.  

Part of my thinking is based on having been assistant coaching my 9YO son's XC team for the last couple of weeks.  Seeing the incredible effort that those little guys have been putting into their races this fall, I'd feel kind of embarrassed to run as within myself as I have in the past.   So we'll see -- If I blow up, that's OK --- it will be a lesson learned. 

JML

Not a bad plan to push the pace a bit.  The beauty of the 5K is that the recovery is quick so you can always run another one soon if this race doesn't go well.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Jeff F

Free Beer

The best 5K strategy...go out as hard as you can and then try to hang on.

Have you had much success with this strategy? Please expound.

Mark, I think sperimenting with pushing the tempo a bit in a couple of your runs in the next two weeks will probably give you more bang than intervals done at some unknown pace. Get comfortable with what feels uncomfortable if you know what I mean.

Best of luck and have fun.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
              LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

A few fartleks.  Then run the race and have fun.

I have done better in the races when I have just relaxed and enjoyed them.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Very popular strategy with the kids.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Have you had much success with this strategy? Please expound.

Mark, I think sperimenting with pushing the tempo a bit in a couple of your runs in the next two weeks will probably give you more bang than intervals done at some unknown pace. Get comfortable with what feels uncomfortable if you know what I mean.

h2 -- I like this.  Sounds like exactly what I need.

And yeah, Amores, that's really true of the nine year olds.  They go out at a sprint and then try to hang on.  The amazing thing is how hard they try.  Some of the kids look like they are about to collapse at the end, although they are generally back to normal in about 2 minutes.  It's really striking to me because ---  unlike some soccer or hockey games --- the parent/spectator presence is supportive but really low key.  They kids seem to work so hard because they are racing, not because anyone told them to.  Last weekend, there were some really dramatic battles as kids were finishing --- sprinting to the finish to pick up a place or two, even in the middle of the pack.  Really cool.

KRR

An effective training plan to get up and running again focuses on both skill and energy.  Skill comes from proper form and efficiency training. Energy development comes from balancing out speed, strength, stamina, and threshold workouts. 

Here are some good stamina, threshold, strength, and speed workouts.   Readers who do not know their specific training paces, this tool will help you.

Personalized Workout Calculator >>>>   http://www.freerunningcalculator.com

Coach Ken at 5 Speed Running

I really wouldn't sweat it much......just go to the race...run it and and fun........

Champions are made when no one is watching

So as it turned out, I ended up going out at about a 5:50 pace (at least for the first .5 mile --- who'd have thought that the small group of amiable middle aged people I started near would do that????).  Anyway, that group soon dropped me and I settled into a more reasonable 6:30-6:40 pace. I ended up finishing in 20:35.  I'm really, really pleased considering that I'm only 3.5 months back from a long layoff, and this is the fasted I've run since 2009.  Next up will have to be getting back under 20 minutes.