Reminder - Ryan Shay Memorial Run (Read 1316 times)

Mishka-old log

Just a reminder, to anyone that's interested to dedicate a 5.5 mile run, or a portion of your longer run tomorrow, to the memory of Ryan Shay. Here's an article about the memorial run. Ryan was the runner that died of a heart attack in the Olympic Trials marathon on November 3. He meant a great deal to the running community. He had a passion and work ethic that he brought to the sport that even many of his professional competitors say was unmatched. So, lace 'em up for Ryan tomorrow. He was a tremendous talent in running, but that talent was easily matched by the character he showed outside of running.

Lazy idiot

I'll be doing my first run in over a week tomorrow morning, 5.5 miles. Thanks for the reminder, Mishka.

Tick tock

Scout7

Definitely.

Imminent Catastrophe

I thought it was today, anyway I did it, and paused for a moment at 5.5.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Doing 8 tomorrow. First 5.5 are for Ryan.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Being on the other side of the international date line from most of you, I just finished mine. I usually think in km though and just realized that my 8 km run is half a mile short of 5.5 mi. Blush

Jeremy

Mission accomplished.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Mishka-old log

Done. The local group of 3-6 was 20 strong this morning!
                      on my way out, thanks so much for the reminder, Mishka.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

I hit 5.5 for the day at about 2.5 miles into a 5K race, completely red lined. I thought it was fitting, even if my all out 5k pace was Ryan's easy pace. I definitely thought about him and was able to push just a little harder.

Runners run

I only did 3.1 this mornig but it felt great and was hopefully a great tribute. Thanks Ryan!!
                          http://distance-runner.blogspot.com

Go Pre!

I am upset I did not know of the 5.5 dedication until just now. I already did 6 miles today and would gladly have dedicated it to him. Last week however, I did dedicate my first run back, after a needed 16 day layoff - to Ryan. A running friend of mine and I did however dedicate today's run to all of those unable to run at all, for whatever reason. We were complaining of nagging injuries and then realized how lucky we were to be able to run at all. Dave

Lazy idiot

Just finished my 5.5. Not nearly as fast as Ryan, but it felt great to get out and make my nose run a little.

Tick tock

Last week however, I did dedicate my first run back, after a needed 16 day layoff - to Ryan.
                                I thought that the dedication run was last week, and didn't realize until two days ago that it was supposed to be this week (despite the continuing comments showing up on that article of people getting ready to run) I wasn't supposed to run at all in November.

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)