Second Race (Read 637 times)

I finished my first race yesterday, a HM. I am thinking of a fall or winter marathon, but not sure if that is too early as I'd like to build myself slowly to 50 mpw before I start a training program. Other options are to put off the marathon to next spring and/or build up to more than 50 mpw. Any thoughts...?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

That's an ambitious start you've got there! I guess with the marathon training, it'd depend on your goals. Plenty of people (myself included) have run a marathon on less than 50 miles at the peak of their training. If your goal is just to have a good first run and finish, you can at least start your training with less than 50 miles and you'll be in shape for the fall. If your goal is more ambitious, you'll have to wait for someone else's advice, as I've only finished relatively slowly.

-------------------------------------
      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

The Greatest of All Time

You have plenty of time. Just start adding mileage to your long run and throw something longer (8-9) in during the week.You will be at 50 mpw before you know it.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          You have plenty of time. Just start adding mileage to your long run and throw something longer (8-9) in during the week.You will be at 50 mpw before you know it.
          Thank you. I was thinking of something simple, like taking this week very easy, then: week one: 2, 3, 5 week two: 2.2, 3.3, 5.5 week three: 2.4, 3.6, 6.1... I just imagined that there was more to it than that...

The Greatest of All Time

Thank you. I was thinking of something simple, like taking this week very easy, then: week one: 2, 3, 5 week two: 2.2, 3.3, 5.5 week three: 2.4, 3.6, 6.1... I just imagined that there was more to it than that...
            Something like that will work. IMHO to train for the marathon you really only need 1 increasing long run, 1 mid week longer run (8-9), and the rest you can fill up with recovery, hills, speed work, easy, etc. Make sure you don't overdo it. If your legs feel like total crap and are incredibly heavy, consider taking the day off entirely. If you go out for an easy run and your legs feel incredibly light and springy, run a little bit faster. The only run I "plan" is the long run and even then I don't plan pace. All of my other runs are done based on how I feel, same with long run pace. In the past I have set aside certain days to do track workouts, etc and found it is very frustrating to hit the track with dead legs. This made for a bad workout and could have been counter-productive in the long run. If you don't already have one, invest in a HRM. Keep on eye on it but don't be a slave to it. If running at 8:00 pace normally produces a HR of 140, and one day it's 160...ease off. It's not rocket science. It's just running. I applaud your motivation!

Something like that will work. IMHO to train for the marathon you really only need 1 increasing long run, 1 mid week longer run (8-9), and the rest you can fill up with recovery, hills, speed work, easy, etc. Make sure you don't overdo it. If your legs feel like total crap and are incredibly heavy, consider taking the day off entirely. If you go out for an easy run and your legs feel incredibly light and springy, run a little bit faster. The only run I "plan" is the long run and even then I don't plan pace. All of my other runs are done based on how I feel, same with long run pace. In the past I have set aside certain days to do track workouts, etc and found it is very frustrating to hit the track with dead legs. This made for a bad workout and could have been counter-productive in the long run. If you don't already have one, invest in a HRM. Keep on eye on it but don't be a slave to it. If running at 8:00 pace normally produces a HR of 140, and one day it's 160...ease off. It's not rocket science. It's just running. I applaud your motivation!
              Thanks very much. I actually used my HRM for my race and never once look at pace (maybe that was foolish). For the first part of the race I kept it around 145, the middle to end at about 150 and then for the last 1 1/2 miles I was in the low 160s. That helped me deal with going up and down steep hills. As for my legs, I can barely walk (no pain in joints, just very sore quads) as there were many steep uphills and downhills in that race. Incidentally, are you a litigator or a transactional guy. Based on your profile pic, I'd put my money on litigator...definitely.

The Greatest of All Time

Incidentally, are you a litigator or a transactional guy. Based on your profile pic, I'd put my money on litigator...definitely.
                That's good pain. Post race pain is good stuff. Love it. Yes, I am a litigator. How the hell can you tell from that pic?

How the hell can you tell from that pic?
                  I'm in the field. It was just a gut guess. You look like you're sitting at counsel table waiting to give your appearance.

The Greatest of All Time

You look like you're sitting at counsel table waiting to give your appearance.
                    That's pretty funny. I was actually sitting at a bar waiting to have a post-race breakfast. Didn't realize I look like that outside of court. Damn.