This has never happened to me before (Read 698 times)

For the 3rd day in a row, I didn't want to run. So I didn't. I ran a HM last Saturday. On Sunday, Monday and Tuesday I did some very easy and short recovery runs. On Wed I started back on strength training and probably started back too soon as my knees hurt from too much squating. Not helping that my new shoes hurt my left ankle. I could come up with many other excuses and yes, I know all the little motivational stuff to get back on the horse as it were. Just looking for some reassurance that everyone feels this way at some point and that this horrible feeling will pass.
      I ran my 20 miles last saturday and officially stated the taper this week.. I have started having all sorts of hip and back soreness, which I think is psedo-pain messing with me, but nonetheless, it has been really hard getting motivated for the shorter runs.. I have 12 tomorrow, which hopefully will get me back on track.
        Just looking for some reassurance that everyone feels this way at some point and that this horrible feeling will pass.
        We do, and it will Wink
        2009: BQ?

Go Pre!

Not to worry - it will pass! By the way, I love this thread title "This has never happened to me before" ... isn't that how all of the letters to the editor in girlie mag forums start? Surprised
          jcasetnl

I don't know what your normal mileage is, but a half marathon would be a major effort for me (and for most people). Within the running community (i.e. talking to other runners) there's a tendency to downplay distances. A half is long freaking way. I did a 10 mile run a couple months ago and it kicked the crap outta me. I went home, ran a hot bath and drank a big bottle of MGD, followed by no running for a week. The 10 was on a sunday and I didn't "feel" like running again until the following sunday. Unless you're training for a specific event or goal, I don't see that there's any benefit to running when it's no fun and you're body is telling you otherwise. That sounds more like a JOB.
            For the 3rd day in a row, I didn't want to run. So I didn't. I ran a HM last Saturday. On Sunday, Monday and Tuesday I did some very easy and short recovery runs. On Wed I started back on strength training and probably started back too soon as my knees hurt from too much squating. Not helping that my new shoes hurt my left ankle. I could come up with many other excuses and yes, I know all the little motivational stuff to get back on the horse as it were. Just looking for some reassurance that everyone feels this way at some point and that this horrible feeling will pass.
              Yep, it's normal. Escpecially after a race. You're entitled to a little rest after such a big event. Rest up, relax. Then pick another goal & get back out there.
                I ran my 20 miles last saturday and officially stated the taper this week.. I have started having all sorts of hip and back soreness, which I think is psedo-pain messing with me, but nonetheless, it has been really hard getting motivated for the shorter runs.. I have 12 tomorrow, which hopefully will get me back on track.
                the exact same thing is happening to me. My hip hurts, my back hurts and I keep thinking I'll run further than scheduled but the shorter the run the harder it is. Confused

Jennifer mm#1231

Yep, it's normal. Escpecially after a race. You're entitled to a little rest after such a big event. Rest up, relax. Then pick another goal & get back out there.
                  BINGO!!! I hav gotten the "post-race-blues" a couple of times. You'll snap out of it. Smile

Jennifer mm#1231

madness baby

I don't know what your normal mileage is, but a half marathon would be a major effort for me (and for most people). Within the running community (i.e. talking to other runners) there's a tendency to downplay distances. A half is long freaking way.
                    Great point. Very well said. Rest up. Just think easy for a while. Smile It'll pass!
                    deb
                      Thanks for all the responses! You have made me feel reassured and less negative on myself and my fate. I've been playing around at the gym these past few days and have been having fun doing some stationary cardio. My bug returned after seeeing the local high school track star run past my house this evening so if all goes as planned, I will be doing an early AM tomarrow. Thanks everyone! Big grin