training run type schedule? (Read 74 times)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I think I know what would be "best" for me to decrease race times at my age, but I kind of like to run 6-7 days a week, not 3. I like running, not racing, or the rest and cross training required to race faster as an oldster.

I don't think 3 days/week would make you a better runner than 6-7!   I'm an oldster (well, about to turn 55) and I'd rather run daily.  The mountain biking is for marital harmony, not for training efficacy.  (And also because I like mountain biking.)

I feel like I'm finally on the verge of being in the zone where I can actually train to get faster, before I was just running to get to this stage, ha.

I never thought I'd enjoy an "easy" run, buy I'm kind of loving them.

I'm thinking I'm going to focus on tempo and long runs for my hard runs, and occasionally throw in an interval session.

As for those who don't want to race... to each their own, but I must say, after my last 5k, 1st of the summer, it definitely supercharged my focus and running.

I'm not sure if it's my natural competitiveness and/or just being human and being challenged. It was kind of random but post race I just had this feeling of "being human" kind of like this back in the day was probably normal, every day or every week sort of physical challenge. Basically races bring out that digging deep feeling, and I guess, where else would I get that? It's pretty easy nowadays to do nothing... eat work sleep. In some ways I think we''re built for this.

Great comments,keep em coming.

300m- 37 sec.

I don't think 3 days/week would make you a better runner than 6-7!   I'm an oldster (well, about to turn 55) and I'd rather run daily.  The mountain biking is for marital harmony, not for training efficacy.  (And also because I like mountain biking.)

I'm talking about three hard/long running workouts and 4 rest and cross training days. I don't think old people get enough rest to allow efficient use of hard workouts. Specifically for improving race performances, not improving ability to run.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm talking about three hard/long running workouts and 4 rest and cross training days. I don't think old people get enough rest to allow efficient use of hard workouts. Specifically for improving race performances, not improving ability to run.

This is one of the reasons why I switched to a 10-14 day cycle with additional easy and rest days to fill it in.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Heres my current plan (changes frequently on a dime)

mon easy

tues off

wed easy

thu medium long run often trail/ or road workout

fri easy or off depending

sat  longer trail run

sun shorter trail run

Total 50-60 mpw

i would like to do strides and hill sprints once per week

but i dont always.  Likewise strength training is rare

lots to aspire to (feel guilty about).

Im exploring a more polarized approach now with keeping effort max hr very low on easy/long days. (65-70%max).  I tend to skimp on workout with excuse too hot or i feel like i might be overtrained get injured.  Hoping this will help improve both endurance and recovery.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block