For the faster folks here (Read 800 times)

obsessor

Totally off-topic obsessor, but is that a home winemaking operation I see???
    Yessir. And on the advice of someone you might know very well, I made a very nice blackberry last year from all the wild berries in our yard. We did not have enough and ended up blending with our apples about half-and-half. It was very good, but unfortunately, did not last long. We got maybe 5 bottles, and did not really even let it age properly... I guess. But we enjoyed it, and that is what really counts.

SMART Approach

FALL of 2006. 5K Race Report. The first and only race I have won. Cool 39 degree Fall day which I like. Was hoping to possibly PR for this 5K -19:23. Got to the race and saw that it would be a smaller race - maybe 100 runners. Did my mile warm up and got to start line and maybe saw about 7-8 runners that looked the part and would be fast. I spoke to two runners that recently ran a 3:30 marathon. A couple other were young and muscular. Started off - and as usual about 8 runners took off ahead of me. I started conservatively as usual. At 1/4 mile was the first hill and fairly steep. At top of hill I had soon gone into 6th place but at 1/2 mile a guy with sport belt, tight triathon gear and fuel belt with colored liquid passed me. Mmmn. I am thinking he is either fast and started slow or he doesn't have a clue because you don't need sport drink for a 5K. Well, at end of mile 1 was another healthy hill and I caught him and also passed 3 others going up the hill. I am now in third place and feeling ok but 2 nice hills had me working hard and I pushed through at 6:29 first mile. Wanted to run a bit faster than this but the damn hills......The two runners ahead of me were young, in their 20's and muscular/fit looking. I am 40, I can't catch them. Right? By 1.5 miles I catch one of the young guys while going up another longer hill. (Geez-enough with the hills!). The other guy is still 50 yds ahead of me looking good. At this point with the hills, I knew a PR was out of the question. This was work. I now decided, I AM GOING TO TRY TO WIN THIS RACE and time wasn't a concern. I still ran my race vs. making a push toward him. Toward the end of mile 2 was another damn hill. Mile 2 was a 6:45 pace. Way below my goals but those are out the window anyway. I was picking up ground big time on the front runner going up this hill. Now 20 yds back at top of hill. On downhill, I went with the hill and he seemed to hold back. By the bottom of hill I drew even with him. We ran together for a bit and then guess what, another hill. This is where I tryed to hold pace and took the lead. He was forced to slow - I guess. I was impressed with my performance on the hills (strength). Must be all my lunges as I don't run hills. So at 2.5 miles I am in the lead and feeling pretty good. I pick it up a bit and he can't stay with me. Just ahead 2 volunteers were in middle of intersection facing toward their left clapping and cheering us on. We turn to right and continue on. I am in lead and stay on route until I see cones, volunteers or finish line. It never happened. I approached another darn hill at 2.9 miles and tried to pick it up for the finish. I get down the hill and see the street we were running on early in the race and now realize I am out at least 1/2 mile past the start line. The two volunteers should have directed us straight rather than the right we took. Now I am lost and just start to head back to where I think is finish line. I am thinking, I finally was leading a race and now won't win because I am off route. I am now pissed that slower runners will finish ahead of me. I actually pick it up and on the way back end up cutting through a school playground as my Garmin now shows I am now at 3.5 miles. I finally get back on a road that I think leads to finish line. I finally see it bit but no finishers. Well, it seems that most everyone (the faster runners) followed me. The error was caught at some point but by that time the other runners were slower and couldn't get ahead of me or the other 2 behind me. I finished, breaking the tape in first place. Awesome! 4.1 miles 26:15. With all the hills, figured I would be in around 20 minutes or more (for 5K). Did last mile in 6:19 pace even though tired and I didn't know where I was. I received first place trophy. Felt great! But not quite as rewarding because of mix up. Either way a win is a win!!!!! I'll take it!! Todd

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I ran this ridiculous cross-country race in California, total chaos. Running through tall grass, etc. The guy on the moped guiding us through disappeared. I was in the women's lead pack and we all stumbled onto what appeared to be a fire road, wondering what to do as there were no directions and no men ahead of us in sight. I made an executive decision to go back down the hill, but not before sending some of the other ladies in a completely different direction, guessing that the guy in the moped might've gone a different direction. It turns out, that was bad advice. I think they ran an extra mile or two off the course and I won the race.