Humble Beginnings? (Read 432 times)

My Hero

Just picked up a copy of The Original Book "jogging" by William J. Bowerman and W.E.Harris MD. The book was published in 1967. The cover price was $1.00. At $1.50, thought I made a pretty good deal! The pictures alone are worth that. Photographs of women "jogging" around the track wearing blue jeans, bobby socks and penny loafers. We sure have come a long way eh? After reading the Introduction and finding it very interesting, would like share part of it with you. In addition to Frank Shorter ushering running to the mainstream U.S. when he won the Olympic marathon in 1972, wonder if the following experience Bill Bowerman had with Arthur Lydiard didn't perhaps first prime the pump... From the Introduction by: James Shea Eugene, Oregon February, 1967 In New Zealand, thanks to the work of Arthur Lydiard, the New Zealand Olympic coach, jogging is almost a way of life. Lydiard developed his version of jogging for some of his runners who were about to retire from competition and who were unwilling to give up the high level of fitness built through training. Lydiard came up with the idea of combining conditioning with the stimulus of companionship by slow steady cross-country running done in loosely organized groups or jogging "clubs." The active citizenry took to it in a big way. Whole communities, from toddler to grandma, jog on weekends and holidays. In 1962 Bill Bowerman, who in the past 20 years has trained some of the world's most successful runners, toured New Zealand with the University of Oregon's world record four-mile relay team. He found not only good competition for his runners, but a citizenry with great zest for physical activity, possessed of the same vigor that characterized Americans 50 years ago. The vitality of the over 30" was particularly impressive. Compared to New Zealanders, the level of fitness her for a person over 30 was inadequate. In fact, Bowerman found his own fitness inadequate. One afternoon, at 50 and fit, or so he thought, joined Lydiard and the two teams for an easy workout over the New Zealand countryside. Quickly he was alone. Running easily and without a puff, the others glided away and out of sight. Following that experience, Bowerman began to jog regularly. In two weeks his fitness improved, he confidently set out for a jog with a group of about 200 men, women and children. After a half of mile, he was alone again. Only a 76-year-old man was nearby. As the two jogged, the old gentleman's presence became painful to an already bruised ego; the old fellow was being courteous, holding himself back and waiting for Bowerman. The New Zealand experience impressed Bowerman deeply. When he returned home, he continued to jog. He also talked to the press who listened because he was one the country's most successful track coaches. Pretty cool stuff, huh?
      Gosh. Just think if Bowerman put that energy into advocating RUNNING. My point being, words evolve. Not that I'm trying to conjure up a comet, but it's just interesting how the meanings of words change. Forgive me, I'm feeling gay because I met Dick Beardsley today. Or maybe I'm fagged out because I've gotten next to no sleep all week. Cool find though, even if you overspent. Wink