Back in the market for a camera (Read 2453 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My Canon Powershot SD630 has served me well.  Always in my pocket.  Over 10 000 shots along the way.  Several published.  Today, after 3 1/2 years, it broke.

So, what should I get? 

Looking for:

• Ultracompact
    • Top image quality
    • SD card and NB type LI battery preferred
    • Wide to zoom
    • Auto, Manual and preset modes
    • Durable
    • Not looking for mega-megapixels
    Canon has treated me well, would generally prefer their cams.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Canon has treated me well, would generally prefer their cams.

You know Canon has a really nice website, nowadays... Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This one looks pretty close to what you are looking for:

SX200 is

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have this and adore it...might be my favorite all-around camera...ever:

I'm guessing that's quite a bit larger than you want for throwing in your pocket, though.  I carry a big purse. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

keeponrunning

I carry a big purse. Tongue

Maybe Trent should start....along with a little eyeshadow.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Maybe Trent should start....along with a little eyeshadow.

Shit, I don't even wear eyeshadow.  The closest thing to cosmetics in my purse is some Burt's Bees peppermint lip balm.  My purse is more small messenger bag than girly handbag...but it's great for small cameras and my kid's toy cars and LEGO. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

keeponrunning

I didn't mean to imply you wear eyeshadow-I generally don't either, except maybe for a special occasion.  Just thinking Trent may look cute with some on.

Shit, I don't even wear eyeshadow.  The closest thing to cosmetics in my purse is some Burt's Bees peppermint lip balm.  My purse is more small messenger bag than girly handbag...but it's great for small cameras and my kid's toy cars and LEGO. Tongue

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

keeponrunning

While I'm thinking of it, does anybody know of a really good FREE photo shopping program?  I'm going on a trip, and will probably take a ton of photos, but they may need work when I return,.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

While I'm thinking of it, does anybody know of a really good FREE photo shopping program?  I'm going on a trip, and will probably take a ton of photos, but they may need work when I return,.

Used to be the Photoshop Elements came free with scanners, cameras, etc.  I don't even know if Adobe makes it, but if you can get your hands on it it's really great.  Check eBay...you could probably snag it for $25.  Other than that, a ton of people rave about Irfanview and Gimp.  I've never used either, but they'd definitely be worth looking at.

~ Sarah Kay

You can get trial downloads from Adobe for Photoshop Elements and Photoshop. I don't know how long the trials are. They used to be 30 days, probably still are.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I know you said you prefer Canon.  However, I bought my daughter a Nikon Coolpix (not sure what model) and I must say it takes incredible pictures for just a point and shoot camera.  I use a Nikon digital SLR, but when I saw the results of the Coolpix, it seriously made me wonder why I lug all my lenses and bulky crap around with the DSLR.

I have a new fuel belt from Ultimate Direction that has two small zipper pouches on the belt......probably for gels/gu, keys, etc.  The Coolpix fits just perfectly into this pouch so I can take it on runs.

I think the Coolpix has the features you are looking for.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This one looks pretty close to what you are looking for:

SX200 is

That is a compact, not an ultracompact.  Too big for my pocket.  The other one even moreso.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think the Coolpix has the features you are looking for.

Thanks. There are loads of Coolpix out there. Any out of them preferred?
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That is a compact, not an ultracompact.  Too big for my pocket.  The other one even moreso.

I'm not sure Canon has an ultracompact with the sort of manual features you are looking for, though.  Do a search on DPReview.com.  I believe there were only 3 Canon compacts with Aperture/Shutter priority...none with full manual, no ultracompact with manual settings.  The smallest with full manual is my SX110 (now the 120) IS, I believe.

~ Sarah Kay