What's your favorite "A Christmas Carol" movie adaptation? (Read 433 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

For my money, it's the version starring George C. Scott.  He did such a great job portraying the cruelty of the pre-spirits Scrooge and the warmth of the post-spirits Scrooge, and with the scene just after he woke up, which is key for me.

Close second is Bill Murray, but George C. wins it because I generally prefer the "straight" adaptations of that story.  But it is, after all, Bill Freakin' Murray.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Gotta agree with you on that one - George C. Scott's is my favorite as well, although I always had trouble reconciling his size with Scrooge's miserly tendencies and Scott's rather prominent girth. 

My close second is the Patrick Stewart portrayal.  His range of emotions was just about as good as Scott's, and the British accent helped as well. 

Least favorite would be the JIm Carrey version that came out just a couple years back.  I thought it relied too much on the computer graphics to get the story told.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

...although I always had trouble reconciling his size with Scrooge's miserly tendencies and Scott's rather prominent girth. 

He was just big-boned.  And, he had a glandular problem.  Pretty sure Dickens has that somewhere in the book.

You're welcome.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I thought Star Wars was a pretty good adaption of the story. 

My favorite movie adaptation of "A Christmas Carol" is the Muppets version, haha.  It honestly is my favorite movie version but mostly because there hasn't been any movie that is as good as the book or the theatrical preformances I"ve seen. 

Disney's "A Christmas Carol" with Jim Carey was my least favorite version by far though.  They relied on computer generated images too much and had too little character development. 

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past:  Matthew McConaughey stars as Connor, an arrogant, womanizing asshole who doesn’t think twice about getting a woman in bed for a quick pork and an even quicker adios until his dead bachelor uncle (Michael Douglas) comes to warn this douchebag of the three girlfriend ghosts that will eventually force him to become a sweetheart.

sugnim

I've always loved the 1951 Alastair Sim version.  I believe it's called "Scrooge" rather than A Christmas Carol.  I also like the 1980's Mickey's Christmas Carol, but that's probably because it brings back childhood memories.

jeffdonahue

The Muppet Christmas Carol

and I havent seen it in a long time but I seem to remember the Mr. Magoo version being pretty good as well.

Scrooged was excellent for a modern twist.

BostonRnr

Definitely the 1951 Alastair Sim version.

yeoldefatguy

I really like the George C. Scott version. I also enjoy the Patrick Stewart version from a few years ago. I appreciated the Disney version with Jim Carey providing the voice work. I thought they kept pretty close to the standard versions. There used to be a one hour animated version back in the 70s that was very comic book like. I don't know why I keep that version in the back of my mind.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Scrooged with Bill Murray is by far my favorite. David Johansen as the ghost of Christmas past and Carol Kane as the ghost of Christmas present are both pure gold.

Plus I cry at the end every single time.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Scrooged with Bill Murray is by far my favorite. David Johansen as the ghost of Christmas past and Carol Kane as the ghost of Christmas present are both pure gold.

That is true, supporting cast was great in that, top to bottom.  Even (and especially, IMO) Bobcat.

Singer who runs a smidge

Absolutely the Muppet Christmas Carol.  I've been known to pull it out and watch it in the middle of summer.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

This.

Wot? Run? I thought they said Rum!

Scrooged with Bill Murray is by far my favorite.

+1

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn