What puts more stress on your body... (Read 943 times)

Lets say you have you have two run that both have the same perceived effort level. One run is relatively slow and easy while it is warm/hot out. The other would be a rather brisk run while the temperature is perfect for running. What run would be more likely to produce stress that will lead to positive fitness gains? Which would be more likely to produce stress that might break the body down?
      sounds like a loaded question... warm hot run works the body differently would't you think... presumably both work the heart the same... however one the heart is pumping blood to help cool the body... the other the muscles working harder... My uneducated guess would be that the answer to your question is that the brisk run in the cool would be most likely to produce the biggest fitness gains... yet is the one that would also potentially break the body down more... in my thought experiment I thought which one would take longer to recover from... hmm... easier run on hot day or tempo run on 50 degree day? well one a cold shower and a tall cold glass of your favorite libation does the trick... the other well perhaps takes longer to recover from.

Slow-smooth-fast

My partner puts the most stress on my body!!

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Go Pre!

Agree with John (I like your new avatar by the way)
            I have to check the health and nutrition section now for Eddy and stress fractures. Big grin

Vim

Well stop carrying him on your shoulders then! Tongue
              Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09