Getting back into running, Looking for advice (Read 121 times)

mchichioco

Hi everyone,

I have just started to get back into running, and finding myself discouraged.

Currently a second year in college, I used to run cross country(first years of high school) and was averaging 30 miles/week and a 5:40 mile. However, conflicting interests, personal issues, and many reasons took me away from running, but now I've found myself ready to get back into training.

After my first few runs, I soon realized I am clearly not the runner I used to be, and although I've been staying active(through basketball and recreational sports daily), I have definitely gotten out of running shape.

I think I'm pushing myself or being impatient, running too much too quick. I found it tough now to stay focused and continually beyond a mile or so, and I get discouraged knowing I used to be able to do this with ease.

What advice does everyone have? Should I stick to running a mile  each day without stopping to give myself more confidence in myself again? Or I guess be more patient? Or just keep running more and hopefully it gets better?

thanks Smile

an amazing likeness

1. Forget the 'runner you used to be', that person is no more.  You are the 'runner you are now', and the 'runner you will be'.

2. Decide what you're training for...What are goals you want to pursue?  Be they fitness, time, distance, speed, enjoyment, whatever.

3. Organize your training around those goals. Not just "running 'cause I was a runner".

4. The most important component of starting out, or returning to running is time on your feet -- running, jogging, walking. You need base miles.

5.  Train by time for now, not distance.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Milktruck makes good points. I would also add that cardio comes much faster than your tendons/soft tissue/etc adjusting to the impact of running. You might have cardio from other sports but give it six weeks for it to get better.

If you are bored with a mile, mix it up Do a mile some days, a mile and a half other days, 1.25 miles or 2 miles. Change it up. Also run different routes.

Be patient. You'll get there. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I Run To Eat :)

Hi everyone,

I have just started to get back into running, and finding myself discouraged.

Currently a second year in college, I used to run cross country(first years of high school) and was averaging 30 miles/week and a 5:40 mile. However, conflicting interests, personal issues, and many reasons took me away from running, but now I've found myself ready to get back into training.

After my first few runs, I soon realized I am clearly not the runner I used to be, and although I've been staying active(through basketball and recreational sports daily), I have definitely gotten out of running shape.

I think I'm pushing myself or being impatient, running too much too quick. I found it tough now to stay focused and continually beyond a mile or so, and I get discouraged knowing I used to be able to do this with ease.

What advice does everyone have? Should I stick to running a mile  each day without stopping to give myself more confidence in myself again? Or I guess be more patient? Or just keep running more and hopefully it gets better?

thanks Smile

Awesome that you're back and main thing to consider is to slide back into running progressively. Focus on distance first, and increase distance progressively over many weeks (or you'll pull a muscle, or hurt a tendon etc), then later focus on pace if you need to. You're younger so your muscles regenerate quicker but you can still hurt yourself, or just get flat our tired and demotivated if you push really hard and get sick, for example.

Daniel

I'm about to hit my one year anniversary of running and I've really learned a lot from the great people on here, but that being said I had to figure out a lot on my own first. I found that pushing myself until I couldn't keep running even with a slow pace and walking for a little while then starting running again for a little while then back to walking really turned into running two miles then three then four. I know at 35 and 194lbs I'm not going to be a marathon star but I am satisfied with knowing I keep getting better each time I run. That is my goal, just keep getting better. Like milktruck was saying it's all about just getting out there and doing it and knowing what you want to accomplish. I've really enjoyed running in various races over the past year but what I really enjoy it getting out and running on a country road just to clear my mind. Which is something I  wish I would have done more in college when I look back. Good luck with it and keep us updated on your progress.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Find trails to run on...spending time in the woods rarely gets boring.

Incorporate some pre-run dynamic work and post run strength work.  (lots of videos out on the web for these)

Do it often, and keep it mostly easy, the paces will come.

Find some bi-weekly groups to run with, being around other runners will keep you honest and consistent.

gorunn12

Lots of great advice here......patience is #1 because running is a lifetime of enjoyment!  Let go of goals for now and just run for the sake of running and when you find you're enjoying it again get back to the intense stuff.  Smile