Foam Roller vs The Stick (Read 4216 times)

I've heard good things about using them so I'm thinking about getting one or the other. I haven't really stared doing any research yet, so I figured I'd start here. What are the pros and cons of each? Is one better than the other for certain things? Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance.
      It depends what the injruy is that you are using it for? foam roller is great for: ITBS Rolling Calves if you suffer from tight calves/shin splints Plus: it's CHEAPER than the stick.

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

I can't comment on the foam roller. Here's my $.02 on The Stick... I've used The Stick for 1.5 years now, and in my opinion it's the best $30 I have spent for running and general well-being. I purchased it on the recommendation of a triathlete friend who swore by it to relieve his trigger point pain. I had been suffering from what I believed to be trigger point pain, as well as soreness and tightness n my calves. I use The Stick every day for calves, quads and hamstrings, whether I run or not. It takes a couple of minutes (literally) and I have not had any issues related to trigger point pain or the tightness/soreness I was experiencing since I began using it. It feels really strange the first few times, but once you get accustomed to the process, it gives a really good deep massage for your muscles. When you do your research, you'll see that you can use The Stick for all muscles groups, and once or twice a week my wife will help roll my back and arms. The only thing The Stick folks warn against is using it over bony prominences, like shins. Try it once and you'll find out why. Smile That's not what it's built for, though. It's for deep tissue massage, and I think it works great. Good luck with whichever method you choose.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

I don't have any injures yet and I'm kind of hoping to keep it that way. My legs get pretty tight sometimes though and I'm about as flexible as a 2x4. So I'm planning on using one of them to help keep me loose. Would using one on a regular basis help improve my flexibility at all?
            I have a foam roller and the stick. The foam roller is by far my favorite. Works great for the piriformis, ITB and hamstrings.. The stick, I find, to be utterly useless. I get a better self massage on my calves by laying on my back, bending one knee and rubbing the other sore calf on the knee. Or just as good is a rolling pin and it works much better for the shins too.

Jennifer mm#1231

I don't have any injures yet and I'm kind of hoping to keep it that way. My legs get pretty tight sometimes though and I'm about as flexible as a 2x4. So I'm planning on using one of them to help keep me loose. Would using one on a regular basis help improve my flexibility at all?
              I don't think that use of either has any effect on flexibility. Try stretching.

Jennifer mm#1231

the foam roller pretty much ended shin splints for me with regular use. Just like anything else though, you have to be careful and not roll tight muscles. I always roll after the run, and if in pain, after a long hot bath works wonders also. I find I can go a while without having to repeat sessions, but I am back to rolling them regularly, as I am increasing mileage, and Long Slow Distance miles will tighten up your lower leg muscles. You can pick them up fairly cheap online. Great Investment.

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

I've asked my experts this exact same question over the past week, and both recommended the foam roller over the stick since you can get more leverage using your body weight than what's possible with just your arms. Well, one suggested that I get a foam roller. The other suggested that I get a pipe roller instead, or that I freeze water in a 1L soda bottle and use that instead. But that's the same as a foam roller just without any give. I'm going to try the frozen soda bottle trick but plan on getting a foam roller as well. I've been using rubber balls to hit the pressure points and they help, but just don't cover enough area and are too unwieldy.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

xor

I like the foam roller better. But specific to The Stick... I don't really like my The Stick. My The Stick tends to grab my The Hair on my The Legs. Yuck. So I bought a Tiger Tail instead. Same idea, but one flexible rolling surface without the pinchy things in the middle. The Stick and Tiger Tail have one distinct advantage over my foam roller: portability. I can take my Tiger Tail on trips with me. The foam roller not so much.

Well, I'm hopelessly out gunned, but I still maintain my support for The Stick! Big grin As far as flexibility - no impact from what I can see. I agree with Lifesabeach. One of these days in the spirit of open-mindedness, I will probably try the Foam Roller. Who knows, maybe I'll convert. I can't argue with the results I've had with The Stick, though...

Thanks for all the replies and info. Sorry JVol, but I've decided to go with the foam roller. I like that it uses my body weight instead of just my arm strength, like Blaine said. Also there are a bunch of videos out on YouTube for exercies to do with it but I only found a few for the stick. My next question is what size should I get? I'm kind of looking at the GoFit ones on Amazon, but there isn't much logic behind why. They come in 18 or 36 inches. I'm 6'5" and weigh about 175 if that matters. Thanks!

A Saucy Wench

Well, one suggested that I get a foam roller. The other suggested that I get a pipe roller instead, or that I freeze water in a 1L soda bottle and use that instead. But that's the same as a foam roller just without any give.
                          Instead of freezing water in a 2L bottle, go get a bottle of club soda or seltzer and DONT OPEN it. As long as it stays full and carbonated, it can hold a lot of weight and has about as much give as the foam. I use both the foam and the stick for different applications. We use dowels in yoga and you can get MORE body weight on if you do your calves while kneeling

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Thanks for all the replies and info. Sorry JVol, but I've decided to go with the foam roller.
                            Hey, no problem at all. To each his/her own, and I hope it works for you. I've also checked out some Youtube videos on the foam roller, and I may check it out. It never hurts to have more than one tool in the old toolbox, right?

my old trainer made a foam roller mandatory equipment for our sessions, and though the trainer is long-gone (he's so great i can't afford him anymore, ha!), the foam roller remains a staple in my life. calves, hamstrings, quads & back. i love it on running days and rest days alike. i just wish it wasn't so big/clunky (mine is 3' tall, so that i can roll the length of my back on it). i'd love to travel with it, but it's too goofy-large to take with me on a plane.
                                I had to google foam roller and images to get an idea, as I've never heard of it. I do have the stick. This came up as the first image. I may "stick" with the stick.