Marathon ankles (Read 325 times)

Feeling the growl again

Yeah.  I've seen this sentiment here several times before.  It's not entirely true.  You're a bunch of variously experienced runners with insight  that could help.

Despite the knowledge, we are working with a very limited, remote picture of what is going on.  It would be terrible if someone decided not to seek reasonable medical consultation because someone on the internet who was not medically trained and had not examined them in person convinced them it was not necessary, and there turned out to be a serious issue.

Edema could be a direct effect of running a distance one is not prepared for.  Or, it could be a signal of cardiac issues.  A pic of one's ankles and the knowledge that they recently ran a marathon does not provide sufficient information to determine the cause.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jicama

Did we win?

I appreciate that,  but a doctor is likely to tell me RICE, perhaps after an X- Ray or an MRI and may a script for a narc.  I'd rather begin with RICE/ibuprofen and see how it goes.  I may drag myself to see one, but it's not my first step when I'm injured.

What's the point of a "Health and Nutrition" forum, anyway, if not to share opinions?

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

jicama

Did we win?

Thanks, though. :-)

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

But we're not doctors.

And even if we were, we'd say to get it checked.

I ran 30 miles, having previously never run that far before (20 miles was the longest in the buildup), my ankles didn't swell like that (and this comes from someone with fat ankles).  I have an uneven running gait.  I am not 210lbs.  I say get it checked.  If you're told to RICE etc as your doctor doesn't see cause for concern, then fine, but there is no harm in being told that...there is potential harm in ignoring a symptom that may (or may not) be of something more serious than running 26.2.

In all honesty, I wouldn't go to the dr if I was injured...injury is different...but from your original post it doesn't seem to be an injury as such, hence people saying to ask for a "real" opinion rather than just ours.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I appreciate that,  but a doctor is likely to tell me RICE, perhaps after an X- Ray or an MRI and may a script for a narc.  I'd rather begin with RICE/ibuprofen and see how it goes.  I may drag myself to see one, but it's not my first step when I'm injured.

What's the point of a "Health and Nutrition" forum, anyway, if not to share opinions?

You know what...a couple of years ago my DH had a mole on his arm that in no way looked suspicious, other than the fact that it appeared very suddenly.  Our PCP even looked at it, shrugged and said "it doesn't have any of the hallmarks of cancer, but just to be safe we'll send a biopsy off."

Turns out that mole was cancer.  Melanoma (ie the most deadly of skin cancers), to be exact.  My DH is now minus a big chunk of skin on his arm and a lymph node.

While puffy ankles may appear to be a NBD sorta thing, the truth is that we can't diagnose you and you can't diagnose you.  I don't know of any website where someone will ask about a physical condition and not be recommended to seek the advice/diagnosis of a professional.  Your ankles could be simply the result of the race or they could be the result of the race on top of something more serious. It's the same reason why otherwise healthy individuals have grabbers in the middle of races or shortly after finishing -- there was something up with their heart that only became evident once said heart was pushed particularly hard.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Nightvisionrn

you don't want to base your health guidelines on internet opinions. We could quess diagnoses and give opinions all day long, but that will not be helpful. I could give opinions that maybe it is kidney failure/ rhabdomyolisis, heart failure, etc. but that would be unfounded guesses.

Anything abnormal needs to be checked by a qualified health care practitioner.

labruja

Hi, so what was the end result/diagnosis? I did my first (walking) marathon in 7 hours last weekend, & my ankles look exactly like yours in the picture (10 inches in diameter, my neck is 13 inches!). My training partners aren't showing the same problem, it was their first marathon too...

I am prone to ankle stiffness etc due to old ligament injuries (from netball/football).

Any comments welcome, thanks.

You'll ruin your knees!

hellooo, they're called cankles!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

SheCan

I'm on your side on this one.  You probably SHOULD see a doctor, but, there are times I should also, but just don't.  In general, I've found that most doctors lack much curiosity at all about my health concerns, especially if the answer is not blatantly obvious.  Good luck to you, and I hope you do figure out something about the swelling.  And yes, again, you probably should go pay a doctor, your insurance, and the lab technicians to find out what's going on.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Latent Runner

My favorite, and most discouraging, quote from a "Sports Doctor"; he looked at me with a straight face and said, "Don't you think you're too old to be doing that?"  Geez, that was 23 years ago when I was only in my mid 30s.  On the rare occasion when I visit a doctor with a running related injury, I typically discount maybe 80% of what he or she says.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                      • 2-mile: 13:49
                      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                      • 5-Mile: 37:24
                      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                      LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My favorite, and most discouraging, quote from a "Sports Doctor"; he looked at me with a straight face and said, "Don't you think you're too old to be doing that?"  Geez, that was 23 years ago when I was only in my mid 30s.  On the rare occasion when I visit a doctor with a running related injury, I typically discount maybe 80% of what he or she says.

Seems like he or she should discount your bill 80%, then.