Running 13.1 in altitude (Bogota, Colombia) (Read 80 times)

salsa_runner

Has anyone run in high altitude? I'm planning to run there in about a month. Anyone done this race? planning to? Any tips?

jmctav23

2/3rds training

people react very differently to altitude so it is really hard to make broad generalizations on how you will react.  How much time will you have there before the race?  At just above 8k, it's not really that high, not like going to run leadville which is all above 12k.  Take it conservatively for the first few miles and see how you feel once you settle into the race.  Or do a short run in the days leading up to the race to see how you feel with a few race pace efforts to see if you start gasping.  A few lines of columbian marching powder pre race would mitigate the altitude...

salsa_runner

Thanks for the response. I'm planning to arrive 8 days prior and run a few times around down, just to get my body/lunges used to the altitude.

Imagine running with reduced lung capacity... don't imagine running a PR.

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

It looks like it is within 1,000 feet of Estes Park Marathon (+1000, not minus though).

I showed up to Estes Park the day before the race and it took me about 30 minutes longer (or 14% slower) than other marathons that year.

Here's the advice listed on EPmarathon.org:

Estes Park is located at a HIGH altitude for any athletic event! You may experience problems associated with running or walking at elevations of 5000 feet and higher. We recommend that you arrive 2-3 days before the race, eat lightly, avoid alcohol, and drink a lot of fluids without caffeine. Runners, you should be prepared to walk parts of the course if you feel any signs of altitude sickness.

Good luck and have fun.

Perhaps research acullico. =)

NHLA

I run in the blue ridge mts. I have to get close to 5000' before I feel it.

Do you have anything close to 6000' near you?

NHLA

I see you live close enough to come over to Hendersonville NC  and run. I'll take you on some of the trails that make me dizzy.

It helps to get used to the feeling so it will not bother you in the race.

salsa_runner

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think arriving about a week early will be helpful. I have been trying to read up from various sites as well on what others are suggesting.