Any guitar players here? (Read 109 times)

I have just started learning to play the acoustic guitar and I'm looking for some recommendations on songs that I could learn. I have 'mastered' Wonderwall,  Green day's Time of your life, Clapton's Wonderful Tonight, Coldplay's A Message. Looking for something new that's not too hard.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Try heartwoodguitar.com/chords

theres a ton of easy chords and tabs on there.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Still kicking

My favorite site for simple guitar songs

http://bettylou.zzruss.com

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

Birdwell

The intro to "stairway to heaven" is a must.

I learned to play in the 90's so I have a lot of alt-rock in my repertoire.

BeeRunB

Sounds like you are doing well so far. Those songs aren't that easy. I've been playing and singing for about 38 years now. Taught creative guitar for 20.  The key to sticking with it is learning songs you like from beginning to end, and singing along (even if you are off key and rhythm at first). Build a repertoire, and don't be afraid to reinterpret and create new versions. Playing parts or just chords will ultimately be unsatisfying. Playing with others makes it even more fun. Recording software like Garageband and Audacity (open source) can be a great help.

Are you singing?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Sounds like you are doing well so far. Those songs aren't that easy. I've been playing and singing for about 38 years now. Taught creative guitar for 20.  The key to sticking with it is learning songs you like from beginning to end, and singing along (even if you are off key and rhythm at first). Build a repertoire, and don't be afraid to reinterpret and create new versions. Playing parts or just chords will ultimately be unsatisfying. Playing with others makes it even more fun. Recording software like Garageband and Audacity (open source) can be a great help.

Are you singing?

Yes I'm singing a bit, or playing along with the videos on YouTube. I play alone and I think I would be much better and it would be more fun if I played with someone else. I started by going to a guitar teacher and took a year and half of lessons because I was starting from scratch and I had zero knowledge of music, guitar, frets, chords, etc, etc... Like running, I figured I needed a good base before I started doing anything too crazy.

There is a lot on the internet - I really like this British guy called Justin Sandercoe. My guitar teacher recommended recording myself and I did, but they are really painful to watch. 

My biggest challenge is spending enough time to play well. My guitar whines, squeals, etc and I don't know why. I think it is where I place my fingers on the strings and how hard I press it. It's not my guitar as it is new and my teacher said it wasn't that. Likely just need more practice!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

BeeRunB

Yes I'm singing a bit, or playing along with the videos on YouTube. I play alone and I think I would be much better and it would be more fun if I played with someone else. I started by going to a guitar teacher and took a year and half of lessons because I was starting from scratch and I had zero knowledge of music, guitar, frets, chords, etc, etc... Like running, I figured I needed a good base before I started doing anything too crazy.

There is a lot on the internet - I really like this British guy called Justin Sandercoe. My guitar teacher recommended recording myself and I did, but they are really painful to watch. 

My biggest challenge is spending enough time to play well. My guitar whines, squeals, etc and I don't know why. I think it is where I place my fingers on the strings and how hard I press it. It's not my guitar as it is new and my teacher said it wasn't that. Likely just need more practice!

Beginners have it so good these days with Youtube and all the help you can get figuring out songs and licks. I still remember slowing albums down to 16 to figure out stuff.

One thing every player learns eventually is to lighten up. You don't have to press down as hard as you think. You don't have to pick or strum hard to get a sweet sound. Though banging the strings, or plucking them energetically, have their creative purposes. If you think like a painter and try to hear sound as colors, lines,  textures, and composition (all in the present moment), it will enrich your experience, even if you only know 10 chords. Whines and squeals are fine, if  under your control. Find out how you're making these sounds, then learn how to make them a choice.

Try strumming in a way that you're only barely touching the tops of the strings, where the strings feel less solid and like a surface with a lot of give. You'll get a nice ring out of them, without being too forceful. Same with picking. As an exercise, put your focus in the tip of the pick and play a scale or a melody that you know. Try to feel the string with the pick, where it's placed. When the pick goes too low, what does it sound like? In the middle? On the rounded top? It's all good, you just want to control it for creative purposes. Even though you're a beginner, every time you make a sound on the gitbox, you're creating. Unlike a painting, music disappears almost immediately (unless recorded). So like Ferris B says "If you don't stop and listen to what you're playing, you could miss it."

I suggest turning the video off on your recordings for now. How you look can be distracting, as far as hearing what you're making. I know it distracts me ("I look funny when I'm singing"). If how you look when you're singing disturbs you. Just watch some Joe Cocker videos, and it'll make you feel better. Even Belushi doing Cocker will help. He'll help you to accept. 

Have fun!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Does "Rock Band" count?

Actually, I picked up "Rocksmith 2014", which is basically GuitarHero with a real guitar. I don't think it's the best way to learn; you end up being able to play along by hitting every other note of some really complex song until you can do all the fancy stuff the original song demands.  But it is fun.

I'm a complete n00b and have been following along with JustinGuitar's youtube videos.  It's kinda my speed.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

DennisF6

Justin is the best internet source.  Glad to see you already know about him.

This one is pretty easy to play and is a favorite of mine:

Nobody Loves You When You're Down And Out (Eric Clapton)

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/ST-202-DownAndOut.php 

House of the Rising Sun is another easy one that I enjoy playing:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BS-610-HouseRisingSun-TheAnimals.php

Cyberic

I'm a bass player, or used to be, but that isn't helping you. Big grin

aplodder

Susan

My son plays.  One of the first songs he learned was "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd.  Great intro, and he says the chords aren't too hard.

BeeRunB

The intro to "stairway to heaven" is a must.

I learned to play in the 90's so I have a lot of alt-rock in my repertoire.

I'm actually one of those guy who played that in a music store when shopping for guitars back when I was 15. I laughed heartily when I saw the "No Stairway" sign at the music store in Wayne's World.

BeeRunB

My son plays.  One of the first songs he learned was "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd.  Great intro, and he says the chords aren't too hard.

That's amazing, that intro is difficult.

aplodder

Susan

He worked hard to get the intro.  It's my husband's favorite song, so my son learned it for his dad.  Didn't hurt that he was in his teens and had a lot of time on his hands after school.

ETA: Stairway is a great song.