Cheap and good racing flats? (Read 58 times)

running metalhead

Hi lads and lassies,

I'm trying to find a pair of decent racing flats for a few 13 milers  and eventually a few 26 milers too (the races I will run, but I am not sure if I'll do that in flats or a more substantial shoe). 

I have tried searching in Runrepeat filtering by "competition" getting some weird results like one Adidas "maximalist" shoe that after some reading happened to be made for basketball.

I search for something that does it's job, no need  for cushioning, motion control or built in mediaplayer with Netflix subscription. I'm not specially picky about drop or such either.

I'm Dutch, and thus cheap as hell, but if it's a good one I don't mind paying the price and my wife gave me all her blessings for spending whatever necessary... because I promised  that I wouldn't run any ultras this year... 

Thanks in advance.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
    - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
    - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
    - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
    - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
    - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

paul2432

I've been using the New Balance HanzoS recently and like them.

look into the Skechers GoRun 5, or their GoMeb marathon racers. Light, very comfortable, and often very cheap somewhere online. I got a pair of GR5 for $30.

Depending on where you live, Ross Dress For Less and Marshall's often have last year's high end shoes for really cheap. Racing shoes especially; I bought some Nike Victory 2 Elite spikes for $7!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Depending on where you live, Ross Dress For Less and Marshall's often have last year's high end shoes for really cheap. 

The Netherlands?

You might look into the Brooks Hyperion. I tried them in the store, and on a 5-mile test run, and loved them. Sadly, on the test run I started to feel some tightness in the forefoot, that I could tell was going to cause problems long term. But if you don't need too roomy a toebox, I recommend them. They're pretty minimal, light as a feather. Which I wasn't sure I'd be able to handle them for longer distances anyway, since I'm used to much more shoe. But of course that's personal preference, and plenty of people go minimal for 13.1/26.2. They're $130, and probably hard to find on sale. For reference, I ended up buying the Brooks Asteria instead ($110), which is a little heavier and also has a bit of support. But they fit me better and I've been happy with them.

Dave

I should have looked at the profile to see where he lived.

I assumed "being Dutch" was a self-identity thing, not a nationality one.

Isn't there a Euro version of Ross?

I browsed through Eastbay Sports website last night, they have a LOT of racing flats under $50. I assume they deliver to the EU.