Running a sub 10 minute 2 mile (Read 177 times)

austin18

Hello my name is Austin. I run in Las Vegas and I really need some help. We have already started training for the new track season coming up and I am hoping I can run a sub 10 minute 2 mile race so I can qualify for State Championships hopefully and solidify my opportunity to attend college on a partial scholarship next year.

Last season was my first season ever running competitively. Before running all I did was basketball until I found out that running was my passion and what I loved. Last season my mile time was a 5:02, my 800 was a 2:11, my 3200 an 11:30. ( I was only able to run the 3200 once last year bc my coach didnt feel it was my best race.) This year though I trained hard over the summer and with my coaches advice I did XC to improve my endurance and endurance speed. My regular season time was a 17:35 for my 5k but I was invited to run in the Nike XC Southwest and I ran a 5k time of 17:13. In practice we do a lot of 400 m repeats aiming for 74 second pace and I have been able to consistently hit 74 and 75's for 7 of them and then about a 66 on the 8th with a 45 second rest between each one. Ive also been doing 3 mile tempo runs and my average on each mile was about 5:40.

Am I working out correctly to achieve a sub 10 minute 2 mile or there are things I need to work on? Am I on pace to achieve it this season, since this only my second year of doing track. My coach it is special that I've only been doing running for a year or two and have achieved what ive achieved but its my passion and I'm willing to do whatever I have to do to, to achieve my goals and be the best. BTW, we done 1 mile time trials and I run sub 5:10 comfortably.

mikeymike

It sounds like your coach has you doing the right things. You've made a big jump in only a year. Its impossible to say whether you'll be able to break 10 minutes at this point. Improvement is never so linear or predictable. But you are on the right track.

Runners run

Durrr

If you want to break 10:00, then first get very comfortable with breaking 11:00. Breaking 10:30 should be a major stepping stone to shoot for.

Tiefsa

Here are three strategies, assuming you'll run the two mile multiple times this season.

1.  Every time you run the two mile, set out to break 10 minutes.  That means you should go out at 5 minute mile pace every time (75 per lap or a little quicker).  The first few times, you'll probably be able to hold it through the mile and then probably fade towards the end.  As the season progresses, you'll get stronger, come through the mile at 4:55 or so and hold on to break 10:00.

2.  Each time you run the two mile, set your goal, (Maybe 10:30 for the first one) and try to run even splits.  As your PR gets faster and faster, you'll eventually smash the 10:00 minute barrier.

3.  When you run, run to win.  I had my best times when I was racing instead of just worrying about pace.  If the race goes out fast, just latch onto the pack, let them pull you along as you conserve energy and later if the race, if the pace slows, step out and go for the kill.  If the race is slow, take the lead and try to run away from everyone.

I think it was my junior year in HS, but I ran just under 17:00 in the 5k during cross country, and I ran a 2 mile in 10 flat.  I don't remember my exact times, but they were similar to yours back then.  It sounds like your current fitness level should enable you to run under 10 this season.

Feeling the growl again

It sounds like you are doing the right types of work already, just keep running a decent number of easy miles in addition to the workouts and see where it takes you.

FWIW the first time I broke 10 on the track, I was running about 16:15 on the track for 5K.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

austin18

Here are three strategies, assuming you'll run the two mile multiple times this season.

1.  Every time you run the two mile, set out to break 10 minutes.  That means you should go out at 5 minute mile pace every time (75 per lap or a little quicker).  The first few times, you'll probably be able to hold it through the mile and then probably fade towards the end.  As the season progresses, you'll get stronger, come through the mile at 4:55 or so and hold on to break 10:00.

2.  Each time you run the two mile, set your goal, (Maybe 10:30 for the first one) and try to run even splits.  As your PR gets faster and faster, you'll eventually smash the 10:00 minute barrier.

3.  When you run, run to win.  I had my best times when I was racing instead of just worrying about pace.  If the race goes out fast, just latch onto the pack, let them pull you along as you conserve energy and later if the race, if the pace slows, step out and go for the kill.  If the race is slow, take the lead and try to run away from everyone.

I think it was my junior year in HS, but I ran just under 17:00 in the 5k during cross country, and I ran a 2 mile in 10 flat.  I don't remember my exact times, but they were similar to yours back then.  It sounds like your current fitness level should enable you to run under 10 this season.

Thank you and yes I am coordinating my workouts with my coach based on my mpw. I am used to running about 35 miles a week but this week am I increasing it to 39. And hopefully I will break 10 mins. It is a big goal and I feel its very possible.

Just a dude.

Hello my name is Austin. I run in Las Vegas and I really need some help. We have already started training for the new track season coming up and I am hoping I can run a sub 10 minute 2 mile race so I can qualify for State Championships hopefully and solidify my opportunity to attend college on a partial scholarship next year.

Last season was my first season ever running competitively. Before running all I did was basketball until I found out that running was my passion and what I loved. Last season my mile time was a 5:02, my 800 was a 2:11, my 3200 an 11:30. ( I was only able to run the 3200 once last year bc my coach didnt feel it was my best race.) This year though I trained hard over the summer and with my coaches advice I did XC to improve my endurance and endurance speed. My regular season time was a 17:35 for my 5k but I was invited to run in the Nike XC Southwest and I ran a 5k time of 17:13. In practice we do a lot of 400 m repeats aiming for 74 second pace and I have been able to consistently hit 74 and 75's for 7 of them and then about a 66 on the 8th with a 45 second rest between each one. Ive also been doing 3 mile tempo runs and my average on each mile was about 5:40.

Am I working out correctly to achieve a sub 10 minute 2 mile or there are things I need to work on? Am I on pace to achieve it this season, since this only my second year of doing track. My coach it is special that I've only been doing running for a year or two and have achieved what ive achieved but its my passion and I'm willing to do whatever I have to do to, to achieve my goals and be the best. BTW, we done 1 mile time trials and I run sub 5:10 comfortably.

Reading this, I think you are well on your way. It looks like you have plenty of speed, but might be lacking on the endurance side. Cross country was an excellent idea I think.

Up your overall mileage if you can. In high school I did around 50 mpw when I first broke 10:00. Try to do some longer runs. I think my long runs were around 12 miles or so. In college you will do 60+ easy. Maybe 90 or more depending on the program. Start preparing for that. (Are you a senior?)

Three miles is probably a bit short for a tempo run. Stretch those out to 4-6 if you can, and make sure you have an easy mile or so to warm up. You will probably have to go a bit slower to go that far. That's ok.

Early to mid season, try doing some longer intervals. Don't always do 400s, but do some 800s or maybe even 1000s or 1200s.

When it came time for 400's, we did more. 10-12 hard ones was our go to workout. Early in the season we did 16 or 20, but a bit slower. We did ours with about 1:30 rest early in the season, and probably more like 1:00 by the end.

Also, don't neglect hills... Run several runs with as many hills as you can. A couple sets of hill repeats will be good somewhere too. I know Vegas isn't big on hills, but get out of town and run some trails or dirt roads.

Most of all, though... have some good conversations with your coach and work together to make a plan that works for both of you. Bounce ideas off each other if possible, and be honest about goals and how you feel. Remember, we are just a bunch of strangers on the internet who have never met you or seen you run.

Good luck... I don't remember where state is this spring, but if it's up north I'm going to try to make it... (I'm in Carson City.)

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Why is it sideways?

It sounds like your coach has you doing the right things. You've made a big jump in only a year. Its impossible to say whether you'll be able to break 10 minutes at this point. Improvement is never so linear or predictable. But you are on the right track.

I agree  with this. Trust the process and believe in yourself. Also: race like a madman.

joescott

Don't let it get you down if you don't get it done this spring.  It is an enormous jump from the times you were running last spring to 9:59, although judging by your XC times you have already come a LONG way.  Just remember that Rome was not built in a day, and sometimes usually these things take time.  For you to break 10:00 in just your second track season would be very special for sure, but if you don't there is still a lot of upside ahead for you if you stick with the sport.  I guess I'm just saying not to view it as a failure if you don't quite get there.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Scooterscott

There is a lot of good advice in this thread already.  Wanted to focus on this statement since your training will help build the endurance and speed.  Years ago while coaching one of my state qualifiers I would try to get him to focus less on hitting certain times in some meets and focus on race tactics.  (He lead laps 2-6 in many bigger meets only to fade to 6th or 7th place in the last few laps, until he learned to hang in the group until lap 3 - 4 and then start pusing the pace if it was slow.)  Since you are newer to the sport you can also benefit from knowing your competition and observing how they are racing during the events throughout the season.  Also play with your own tactics to learn if you are a "push the pace" guy or a "sit and kick" guy.  That way you can start to build your own racing strategy and be able to understand what is happeing around you when there is a bunch. 

While it may not seem important now to understand these detials it could be helpful later on.  This will allow you to work on your own weaknesses during the year and try to practice how to run races towards your stronger traits.  It would be a shame to miss out on even going to the state meet because you ran a nice even pace and found out you couldn't out kick someone for that last qualifier spot.