Sacroiliac Joint Pain, Please Help (Read 8763 times)

Member Since 2008

Does anyone have any experience with Sacroiliac Jont problems. I have not ran for four days and have tried to rest as much as possible.
      I don't have anything like that but I've had a tight mid back and shoulder issue since May of last year. My neck crackles... not sure why. I pray you get to feeling better so you can get out there in run. modal

Vim

flatland mountaineer

For me when I get down in the SI its usually on my right side. My Physical Therapist taught me a series of exercises to pull core/pelvis/SI all back the way it should be, brings me around fairly quickly. good luck with it.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The best things to do for SI joint pain is the usual NSAIDS, ice, active recovery and PT. This is one of those things for which a chiropractic adjustment can actually help. Some orthos can do this adjustment as well.

SMART Approach

Or find a manual physical therapist. Manual therapy is a little different approach than traditional physical therapy. He looked at me standing and could see the potential problem right away. I had SI pain (sheering/out of alignment) several years back and it was related to my collar bone being higher than the other which affects the lat which affect hip etc. After one treatment my problem was cured. Had pain for 2 years and 45 minutes with a manual therapist was the answer.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

hellnotholy

A pt recommended this to me (somewhat skeptically): http://www.sacrowedgy.com/ It's fairly cheap and perhaps somewhat hokey, but apparently some people have found relief using it.
                Agree that you need a PT who does manipulation. They can pop the SI joint back into position and then it is up to you to do the stabilizing exercises to strengthen the supporting muscles and tendons to hold it in place. This may take several appointments and a LOT of work, but when it is in place, you will know it! I struggled with this for years on and off and had the best PT in the world (Michael Johnson's PT, actually).

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

finney

Resident pinniped

I could write a book on SI/piriformis/low back/sciatica issues (and the thought has seriously crossed my mind). After 2 years of pain, a suicide attempt, and an addiction to narcotics, and countless failed treatments I tried darn near everything. What cured mine was running. Not making this up. No doctor, PT, chiro, massage therapist, witch doctor, no one had EVER suggested exercise as a method of treating my problem. They all told me ice and rest, as though THAT was helping. I actually had a D.O. tell me I'd be in a wheelchair by the time I was 30. Turned 30 last July. Ran 5 miles tonight. Turned out that's what it needed. My issue was caused by weak and tight muscles. My muscles were pulling my low back, hip, and SI joint out of alignment. Chiropractic adjustments helped, but then it would just come roaring back the next day since the muscles weren't loose or strong enough to hold the adjustment. Keeping moving is key. You sit, it will get worse. If running makes it worse, bike, walk, or swim but stay moving. You also need to get that are back in alignment which is where what everyone has mentioned will help (PT, ortho, chiropractor, whichever one you choose). But, you gotta see somebody. This won't fix itself until you do. But then it's up to you to maintain it.

Member Since 2008

Thanks for everyone's advice. It has been 2 weeks since I ran and still no change. I will have to eventually break down and see a chiro. It is just very frustrating not being able to run! I have eight children and am on a very tight budget, does anyone have a clue how much it costs to see one. Of coarse my insurance does not cover it.
                      My insurance doesn't cover it either. The last 2 visits I had were $50 a pop, but I had more than an adjustment. Adjustment alone I believe is $35. 8 children... dang.

Vim

finney

Resident pinniped

Yeah, mine's $33/visit for just a normal adjustment.
                        jayvee33

The exercises at the site below seemed to help me after I did them consistently for a week or two. My SI joint problem was relatively minor. I would describe it as more of a discomfort than pain and I didn' t have to stop running completely so your situation may be different. http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_sacroili_rex.htm Note: If you click the thumbnail image, the picture shows the "standing hamstring stretch". I found the "hamstring stretch on wall" described in the text to be more effective for me since it doesn't stress my back as much.

...And I do.

Does anyone have any experience with Sacroiliac Jont problems. I have not ran for four days and have tried to rest as much as possible.
                            A friend of mine just turned me on to this website: http://www.spine-health.com/topics/conserv/Sciatica-Exercises/Sciatica-Exercises-Overview.html Scroll down the page and click on "piriformus syndrome" . When you get there, try figure 19 exercise. That one exercise has helped me so much.