Names on Bibs (Read 1694 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

My first marathon featured my name on my bib.  At first I thought, wow, that's kinda cool -- thought they only did this for elites.

On the route, however, I found it pretty distracting.  People would shout out my name in encouragement and I'd turn to see which of my friends happened to show up.  Strangers.  It felt too personal for people I didn't know.  I don't mind when someone says, "Go, 42621!" or something.  That's pretty nice.

It wasn't until a friend shouted my last name did it really perk me up with excitement.

I think I'll be taking label stickers to my next race, so I can cover my name -- or write something silly.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

A Saucy Wench

Use a nickname.  Then if your friends show up they will yell your real name, but strangers can cheer for your fake name and you can deside if you want to respond or not.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Use a nickname.  Then if your friends show up they will yell your real name, but strangers can cheer for your fake name and you can deside if you want to respond or not.

Or use a fake name, like Khalid or Haile. 

Oh roo roooo!

My first marathon featured my name on my bib.  At first I thought, wow, that's kinda cool -- thought they only did this for elites.

On the route, however, I found it pretty distracting.  People would shout out my name in encouragement and I'd turn to see which of my friends happened to show up.  Strangers.  It felt too personal for people I didn't know.  I don't mind when someone says, "Go, 42621!" or something.  That's pretty nice.

This is funny, that's pretty much how I felt too!  I kept wondering "who the hell is out here who knows me?" as I was expecting NO ONE until the finish.  It took me a shamefully long time to figure out how they knew my name.....

xor

I like having my name or a nickname on my bib.  Is this really an issue?

HermosaBoy

Or Nads????  Wink

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

BeeRunB

When I ran Boston, some guy named Jimmy was running near me and had a name on his bib. People kept calling out his name, and of course each time I thought it was for me---being a narcissist and all.

Can be distracting. Imagine what it's like to be famous, and you walk down the street and strangers are saying hi to you like they know you. That's must be a really weird existence.

--JimmyCool

I quite like getting a bit of encouragement from random strangers when I'm running a marathon...

HermosaBoy

I quite like getting a bit of encouragement from random strangers when I'm running a marathon...

It's better than taunting!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I've only had my name on one bib.   

The Disney World Half and it was run mostly in the dark so no one saw it any way.

But I still think that name on bib is cool.

steph  

Roses Revenge

The last marathon I did asked what name to put on the bib but used my first name instead of what I requested.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The last marathon I did asked what name to put on the bib but used my first name instead of what I requested.

They asked what name you wanted on your bib.  Rhetorical question only.

I did this for the Tar Heel 10-Miler next month.  We'll see what they actually put on the bib, though, since it didn't match my registration data.  Should've registered as Mike Hunt, I suppose.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Lynx

Hmmm, I'm a case of a "sliver lining" : no one can pronounce my real name without special coaching, so there is no confusion... If I recognize it, chances are you're a friend! Ahh, the bliss of coming from tiny  far away places :-). (and for the record, I do like my name on the bib- it makes a nice memory since I still have all  my old bibs).