iPod Help (Read 1067 times)

JakeKnight

Thanks to all. I went the manual route, figured out all the "show hidden files" silliness (its a little different on Vista, but not much). Working fine - although its a pain. I will most definitely be looking for software to do the work next time around. I'm with Landy - these things are way too complicated. They're set up like you're never, ever going to switch computers. And their customer service sucks. I figured you people could give it to me in plain English, and you did. Thanks again. By the way - once I have all the songs in my iTunes library, then I CAN "sync" them up, right? Should I? Must I?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I dunno. With my Mac, I just plug things in and they work. Well, except iPhoto. That sucks. But everything else just works.
      JakeKnight

I dunno. With my Mac, I just plug things in and they work. Well, except iPhoto. That sucks. But everything else just works.
        High-jacking my own thread: Are you in Cinci? Ready for tomorrow?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am in cinci. It is pouring rain outside. Ready for tomorrow? I have a chip and a bib if that is what you mean. They say this 'thon gives great swag. I got a nice black backpack, which is awesome! The shirt is a tech shirt, but is in about the nastiest gray I can imagine, and the design is utterly confounding. It looks like a prison utility shirt. Down in one small spot there is a pink blob that I think is a flying pig. It seems to me they should have the entire shirt's back covered with a huge visible flying pig. Wonder what gave me that idea. Anyhow. The bibs are also utilitarian, black and white with a big number. Anyhow, gonna take a nap in a sec and then grab some chow. Then bed. Then a bit of joggin. In the sun.
            Landy, I did not understand. What can you not do? Copy music from one device to another? That is not Apple. Rather, that is a restriction placed by the music industry, and Apple has been working hard to soften those restrictions. The Windows hack gets around the restrictions, but is in effect breaking copyright law (not that I am saying that is wrong).
            Trent - I got a new computer, and I wanted have all the music from my old PC on my new one instead, and yet 4 of the ipods in the family still use the old PC. Similarly, I want to load some Itunes that are porchased on one or the other compter to an Ipod that isn't the "home" of that particular pod. It is way too difficult or impossible to easily do this. Itunes purchase allows for what 5 devices? Dead
            Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Imminent Catastrophe

I am in cinci. It is pouring rain outside. Ready for tomorrow? I have a chip and a bib if that is what you mean. They say this 'thon gives great swag. I got a nice black backpack, which is awesome! The shirt is a tech shirt, but is in about the nastiest gray I can imagine, and the design is utterly confounding. It looks like a prison utility shirt. Down in one small spot there is a pink blob that I think is a flying pig. It seems to me they should have the entire shirt's back covered with a huge visible flying pig. Wonder what gave me that idea. Anyhow. The bibs are also utilitarian, black and white with a big number. Anyhow, gonna take a nap in a sec and then grab some chow. Then bed. Then a bit of joggin. In the sun.
              What, I missed the bad weather? I have to agree with you about two things: Macs, and the Pig shirt. It's a tech shirt, which is nice, but what third grade pupil designed the logo? And what does that say at the top, is that Sanskrit? Oh well, the medal is nice!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent - I got a new computer, and I wanted have all the music from my old PC on my new one instead, and yet 4 of the ipods in the family still use the old PC. Similarly, I want to load some Itunes that are porchased on one or the other compter to an Ipod that isn't the "home" of that particular pod. It is way too difficult or impossible to easily do this. Itunes purchase allows for what 5 devices? Dead
                There shouldn't be a problem, you can authorize up to five computers (make sure to “de-authorize” a computer if you sell it). There are no restrictions on number of iPods which can be used.
                JakeKnight

Don't get me started. We have (I think) 4 iPods. Maybe 5? All with different songs on them. I'd, of course, love to somehow - easily - get all those songs in one place, and find an easy way to download some songs to some iPods, without erasing what's there. Last time I tried it, I wiped out hundreds of songs and had to call Apple and beg them to let me re-download the music. (By the way - they tell you they won't do it, but if you whine and cry enough, they'll cave in). Now I'm terrified to plug in any of the iPods except the one I run with. Is there a way to plug in another one, ONLY download a few songs onto it, without wiping the iPod library or the whole iPod? I'm sure if you're a techie this stuff's easy. But for the rest of us, it shouldn't be such a pain in the ass. I know they're worried about song sharing and copyright infringement, but sheesh. If a competitor comes up with a better system, the Jobsian Cult is going to be in trouble. And really don't get me started on that "authorized computer" stupidity. I have one computer authorized in California. A computer which is now in a landfill somewhere. I had two computers that were authorized just up and die. They're sitting in my garage, useless. And this new one. Which I guess means I have one more to go. Then what? Sometimes I feel like Austin Powers trying to play CDs on a record player. This techie crap just isn't my bag, baby.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

And really don't get me started on that "authorized computer" stupidity. I have one computer authorized in California. A computer which is now in a landfill somewhere. I had two computers that were authorized just up and die. They're sitting in my garage, useless. And this new one. Which I guess means I have one more to go. Then what?
                    I don't have a full answer for you, but I do know that the rule is 5 computers at a time, not 5 for all time. The following document describes how to authorize/deauthorize computers. If you've used up all 5 available computers and you don't have access to old ones anymore, your best bet is to follow the instructions for "deauthorize all (only available if you've used all 5). Then reauthorize on the computers you intend to play the music on. Also, here's an article at the Apple support site entitled How to use your iPod to move your music to a new computer Hopefully, none of this authorization crap will be an issue a year from now -- maybe by then, all the labels will have done away with DRM, and we'll be able to play our legally purchased music wherever we want instead of jumping through these stupid hoops. Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have an external hard drive. EVERY ONE OF YOU SHOULD TOO. I use it ti back up ALL MY STUFF. Photos. music. Documents. EVERYTHING. Whenever I get a new computer, I just copy all that stuff that I may want onto that computer. Drag and drop. Easy. Wenever I get new stuff, I copy it on to that hard drive. All my music is on like 4 computers. Work. Home. Mac. PC. My stuff I keep everywhere. And I can load it onto my iPods without ANY issue. With the new Mac wireless router (which I don't have yet), I can plug my external drive directly into the router and access all the data on it from any computer on the network. Plug it in once and I won't even have to schlep the hard drive from computer to computer. Nice. And I second this: Hopefully, none of this authorization crap will be an issue a year from now -- maybe by then, all the labels will have done away with DRM, and we'll be able to play our legally purchased music wherever we want instead of jumping through these stupid hoops. Of course, I am a ludidte. I still buy all my music on CDs so I don't gotta authorize jack. You didn't realize I was a Luddite, did you?