2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

AceHarris

dwave is my secret (not so secret now) running nemesis. I've told my wife multiple times that my goal times are to beat dwave, haha!  I think I'm just jealous she's so stellar. I'm down 0 - 1 in our only head to head race.

dwave: your story about the angry letter and then hiding your "un-intimidating" self cracked me up!!

Jim: congrats on Big Sur!! I am a novice when it comes to composting, but would imagine you helped it along in some way.

Marco: that does look like a decent climb from 15.75 to 18 that could cause a little slowing, but a nice downhill afterwards too.  Don't let taper madness ruin your strategy. You've done the work, now put it into action. Best of luck! Your training has looked solid!

I officially signed up for the Table Rock 50k on 9/21. Time to get on the trails and do lots of hill work. I'm thinking I'll add more weighted squats and deadlifts too. I'll still aim to do a Nov marathon as well. I'll take plenty of advice how to do a 6-8 week transition training between the two when the time comes.

Also, Kipchoge continues to impress. Second place was impressive too!

Kid #3 is healing well: had xrays today and the fracture is stable and healing. Now in smaller immobilizer, which is great because she whacked me with her hard cast a few too many times.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Right here.   I don't remember you proposing to go out faster than goal pace.  Perhaps I missed it?

I wasn't planning it. I ended up being about 20 seconds ahead of my final pace and paid for it on the hills and beyond. I DID have a RB tell me I should have banked time and essentially gone out faster when it was cooler to have more of a cushioin. I told him CIM is coming so maybe I'll pull out something crazy like a Sub 3. Just so ace isn't alone in his "I virtually run against darkwave in races" approach to marathons.

ace I would keep speed work up if you're going to do a full marathon 2 months after an ultra. Will you be going for a PR in the November marathon or just trying to secure another BQ time? I think one would be different training than the other for you at this point. Sub 3 attempt? Glad the kids aren't hitting you anymore. I suggest taking them with you on your training runs for the ultra. Extra weight will simulate the last 20 miles of a race. Also, max does offer official coaching.

keen Go big or go home, right? I gotta keep up with my cliches.

Something weird is going on. I actually thought running a trail today at lunch would have been fun. Maybe I should test out an easy run tomorrow to remind myself how much running sucks.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I wasn't planning it. I ended up being about 20 seconds ahead of my final pace and paid for it on the hills and beyond. I DID have a RB tell me I should have banked time and essentially gone out faster when it was cooler to have more of a cushioin.

Have you ever known anyone who pulled off the "banked time" approach successfully?  And by successfully I mean hit their goal time and didn't completely crater.

I have never met or on-line-conversed with anyone who has.  Not one person.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Laughing at this conversation. If there's one thing everyone here should know, it's that banking time doesn't work in marathons. And it doesn't work for lots of shorter races too. I might argue that the longest race where time should be "banked" (by which I really mean a positive split) is 1500m. And actually the best way to run an 800m is pos splitting.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Laughing at this conversation. If there's one thing everyone here should know, it's that banking time doesn't work in marathons. And it doesn't work for lots of shorter races too. I might argue that the longest race where time should be "banked" (by which I really mean a positive split) is 1500m. And actually the best way to run an 800m is pos splitting.

An 800m race, yes, but that's tactics related. A time trial would be a different story.

It seems that DWave is everyone's secret nemesis.

Brew - Jealous that you have a trail that you could run on lunch. There's a bike path outside my office, but actual dirt trails are hard to come by around here.

Ace - Awesome to hear that Kiddo #3 is healing well.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Marco - good luck tomorrow!  Is there a bib we can track?

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marco - good luck tomorrow!  Is there a bib we can track?

Thanks!! 410 but no tracking in Belfast .... I’ll let you know Smile

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

kcam

Good luck ocramireob.

Long course, checked across pacers and friends we have 26.7 on average ....

managed 3h27. My Garmin says 3h23 for26.2 Smile

I’ll write something more later now shower and lunch  Smile

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Nice job orcamireob!   Congrats.  Looking forward to your RR.

pepperjack

pie man

Nice work.

Couple of 1:02s for Fly and DWave at broad street?

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Huge congrats Marco - that's got to feel good.  I am very curious to hear how you paced it in the end.

Nice work.

Couple of 1:02s for Fly and DWave at broad street?

Yup.  We actually were together pretty much the whole way.

62:28 for me at Broad Street.  Pretty happy with it - that was the best race I had in me today.

Race report: https://wellimtryingtorun.blogspot.com/2019/05/race-report-broad-street-10-miler-may-5.html

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Heh, I was wondering whether Fly and DWave were running together since their times were the same!  Awesome, both of you.

Congratulations, Marco!  If the course had a lot of turns, that's where the extra distance comes in, because it's very hard to run exact tangents all the time - pretty much nobody ever runs exactly 26.2 in a certified marathon. My shortest marathon was CIM at 26.3 - it's pretty straight until near the end.

Woohoo Ace, 50k!  I would like to do another 50k sometime.  I love trail running as training - I think it makes me stronger - but I suck at trail racing.

I am super lucky that I can get onto the nearest trail system right near my house.

Do you all carry water on your tempo runs?  I am concerned about keeping my tempo pace with a handheld, but man, I got really parched on Friday's tempo, and that was only 4 miles (within 7.5 total).

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Do you all carry water on your tempo runs?  I am concerned about keeping my tempo pace with a handheld, but man, I got really parched on Friday's tempo, and that was only 4 miles (within 7.5 total).

I carry for all marathon pace workouts, and I've raced half marathons and 10 milers with one - I carried one for the first 6 miles of today's 10 miler, even though I didn't need it.

Tempos on the track, I don't carry - but those are never longer than about 32-33 minutes.  When we do longer workouts on the track, we'll put bottles on a bench right off of lane one and grab those for a quick sip every couple laps.

dw - wow that's fast!  Congrats on another PR!

my week:

M: 7 easy

T: 6 easy + weights

W: spin

Th: 9 easy/moderate

F: rd

S: 8 easy with progression

S: 6 easy + weights

total = 36

This week I've got 4 LONG nights of opera (ring cycle)... I'll be lucky to escape without piriformis syndrome.

Hey to y'all.