What's your training program? (Read 149 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Thanks,

another question...

Do you build a base and what does that consist of?

long slow miles?

Yes, I usually work my way up to above 35 MPW before starting any specific training.  But that "35" number is for me, and me alone.  Other runner's base can be more or fewer, depending on where they are and what they're trying to achieve.

And yes, slow miles (unless I'm feeling frisky on occasion).  When you think of long, think in terms of weekly volume, not the length of your longest run.  Volume is more important IMO.  However, I'll re-emphasize what Nick said above in that "easy" changes during a training cycle.  When I start in base-building phase, I "think" I'm running easy, but my HR is much higher than normal.  If I push harder, I'll get winded quite quickly.  It's an indication that I'm not in good aerobic fitness.  When in peak training, easy runs can sometimes feel down right miserable and difficult even though HR is low.  But when it's time to turn on the jets, I can push the pace at 2+ min/mi faster for a long period of time.  An indicator of good aerobic fitness and high lactate threshold.  But this takes a good bit of time and a lot of time on your feet (think time, not miles).

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours