Increase Sprinting Speed (Read 58 times)

Mattflynn17

Hi there,
    I’d really appreciate some help..
    I play 11 aside Soccer/Football and am considerably slow.
    I’m relatively fit, but extremely slow at sprinting.
    How can I improve my speed and get quicker over a short distance?
    Have use of grass and a treadmill.
    Ideally I’d like to use a treadmill, however if running on grass is better then I shall do that.

Also, I could do with losing some weight…. would I gain speed if lost some weight?

Thanks a lot!

A lot of speed comes from strength. Weights will help a bit. Drills that concentrate on fast-paced leg movement help, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4prDX-Z-Ho

The old tried and true workout of running up the bleachers/stairs/steep hills as fast as you can combines both a weight (resistance) workout and a speed drill. With the added bonus of anaerobic conditioning.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

kilkee

runktrun

+1 for strength work, but specifically plyometrics for explosive speed.

Try 10 second hill bursts (all out uphill with good form, walk recovery for 2+ mins), 1:00 hill reps at slower but still hard pace, and flying 150s on the track - 50m to accelerate to top speed, 50m at top speed, 50m decel.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

losing weight/bodyfat....certainly can help sprinting speed. I wouldn't focus on that as much as just eating well and putting in the right workouts.

I lost 15-20lbs from hs to college...I wish I recorded all my PR's from college. Most of them were just during workouts however.

300m- 37 sec.

among1

I have searched for information on this topic. I found your post well-written and solidly informative. Thank you!

among us