running socks (ladies) (Read 163 times)

keeponrunning

Ok, as a tomboy I never thought I'd be asking about socks, but here I go anyway!

My current socks are either getting extremely worn out or are no good for my current mileage.  Either way, they are giving me some NASTY blisters on the bottoms of my feet, and my feet seem to be overly warm when running in anything above 50F.  (it's not the shoes, been wearing Kinvara's for a fair while).  Anyway, what do you wear/recommend?

If it makes a difference, my current ones are Adidas sport socks I picked up a couple years ago when we still had an outlet in town.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Merino wool...used to wear Smartwool exclusively, until they went all to crap.  Now I'm wearing a lot of Icebreaker wool socks and really like them.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Crazy Diamond

Sorry about the blisters!  I like wearing Wright socks, they feature a double layer to reduce friction.  The originals are thin and breathable, the "stride" is mid-weight with a bit of cushioning.  I found them at REI.  Run Strong!

Quo Vadis?

redleaf

I have some adidas ones I really like too.

My newest ones are asics. They fit really well and come in different weights (thicker for winter and thin for summer). So far so good.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Wear "Feetures".  nice, comfy, support, wear well.  get them at my local running store.

tammar-run Smile

Tammarin.....

CaitDS

Feetures or Balega.  Any sock that fits well and is non-cotton.  Non-cotton is key.

Julia1971

Another vote for Balegas.  And as far as getting hot feet, I find them comfortable enough to wear yearround.

keeponrunning

Thanks girls!  I'll be going up Monday to get some new ones, until then I have to suck it up.

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Another thing to think about if your feet are feeling hot and blistering is whether your shoes are a good fit.  Even when it's >80 my feet never really feel hot, even in wool socks (I actually find that wool is perfect climate control regardless of conditions).  I've also rarely suffered any blisters.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

dotatl

Powersox are a nice, inexpensive alternative.  Nicely cushioned without being too thick, no seams on the inside, and did I mention inexpensive?  I know you can get them at Dick's Sporting Goods, usually buy one pack of 3 and get another for 1/2 price.

keeponrunning

Another thing to think about if your feet are feeling hot and blistering is whether your shoes are a good fit.  Even when it's >80 my feet never really feel hot, even in wool socks (I actually find that wool is perfect climate control regardless of conditions).  I've also rarely suffered any blisters.

I'm sure the shoes are fine, cause I've run in them for a while and not had troubles.  Last summer I had a slight problem with blisters in a different pair of shoes (can't remember what, but it wasn't a Kinvara), however, my mileage was crap due to losing my endurance when injured in the spring so it wasn't as big of a problem.

MTA:  also, doing some calculations-- my socks are at least 3 years old cause the outlet closed 2 years ago and I didn't get any the last spring they were open.  That probably explains the problem.  Alas, it is time for some new ones!

bleach

Another vote for Balegas.  And as far as getting hot feet, I find them comfortable enough to wear yearround.

+2 for Balegas, and I blister extremely easily.  It's my soft, supple skin....Roll eyes

EdithRevisited

If you ask

I love my Thorlos, but I must admit that I also love running in brightly colored knee socks and Target sells them (no cotton!).   They are regular socks, not running, but I've run distances up to a marathon in them.  Oh, but I do use some BodyGlide on my feet before particularly long runs, no matter what sock I'm wearing.

• Charlie Horse Half Marathon - May 25
                            • PA Grand Canyon Marathon - July 27
                            • Labor Pain 12 Hour Endurance - August 31 (50k...or more!)

... I like wearing Wright socks, they feature a double layer to reduce friction...

+1 on the Wright double layer.  I just ran a 50 miler in them and didn't have one blister.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

delicate flower

Is there something functionally different about ladies socks compared to men's socks?

<3