NJ Trail series (Read 1047 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'm looking for a "local" marathon to do in January.  I came across the Watchung Ultra in NJ, which has 4 distances, 10k, 10m, 26.2 adn 50k.  

I'd like to do the marathon or 50k and I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has done either, and if so, how was it?

I'm in NYC, so it's "local" and my mother-in-law lives 5 miles from the start so it becomes really local! 

I checked out last year's finishing times for the 50k and marathon and they are very "slow" so I'm assuming this is very hilly/technical trail and will take at least an hour longer than my typical race of that distance.   Thoughts?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

I'm not sure of that actual course but I seem to recall there might have been snow on it last year. (I didn't do it but was on their website a lot at that time, obsessing over the Ultra Fest in March, which I did do.) I can tell you from doing the ultra-fest, too, that I learned that a lot of people doing those races Jan-March are doing them as base work, so the crowd's a little slower, the course is a little slower and the weather can be awful. Add it all up and that's what happens to the results.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

lagwagon

I havent run the race, but run in the Watchung reservation a lot. 

I'm also pretty sure there was significant snow cover, >6" iirc.  I saw what I presumed was the markout last year but havent run the course loop per se. 

As far as terrain, the hills arent too bad, and total impact would depend on how frequently it loops up and down the ridge.  I believe the max elevation gain in the park is ~100 meters, but it can be a little steep. 

My chief complaint with the trails is poor footing.  Some trails (20%?) have an overwhelming number of exposed roots, and others have a ridiculous number of exposed rocks (esp by the creek), and it can definitely slow things down.  Lots of mud too, when its wet.  Probably not great if a PR is in mind, but I'd think it'd be a fine day in the woods.

Carl A

I ran the first Watchung a few years ago.

I fell a few times on some ice, and I heard that someone even wiped out hard enough to crack a hip, but this could be just hearsay. I finished up the 50K just in time to drive my running buddy and I back home to PA in a blizzard. All in all, it was great fun.

My son's basketball schedule is keeping me from getting there this year, but if the great RD keeps it going I'll get back to it eventually!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

On On

I'm looking for a "local" marathon to do in January.  I came across the Watchung Ultra in NJ, which has 4 distances, 10k, 10m, 26.2 adn 50k.  

I'd like to do the marathon or 50k and I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has done either, and if so, how was it?

I'm in NYC, so it's "local" and my mother-in-law lives 5 miles from the start so it becomes really local! 

I checked out last year's finishing times for the 50k and marathon and they are very "slow" so I'm assuming this is very hilly/technical trail and will take at least an hour longer than my typical race of that distance.   Thoughts?

Hey there, I am the RD of the race and can answer any questions you may have.  With that being said I am finding it hard to find an actual question in your post.

The course is rolling terrain.  You follow the white blazes around the loop for about 10.7 miles.  I think the 50K measures around 32.2 miles (obviously a little long).  If you split the course in half the first part is hilly and rocky, the second half is flatter and wider (you are running on bridle paths on the second half).

If you will enjoy yourself in the woods for a morning and part of the afternoon then this may be a great race for you.  If you are shooting for a PR then skip any NJ Trail Series course.  (except maybe our 3 Days at the Fair, an American Record was set there).

Also if you like to run and drink beer check out any NJ Trail Series race.  The RDs love beer and always have some at every race. 

Imminent Catastrophe

The New Jersey Ultra Festival is pretty fast.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

ultramarathon/triathlete

Hey there, I am the RD of the race and can answer any questions you may have.  With that being said I am finding it hard to find an actual question in your post....

Yeah, my question got buried in a bit of wordy-ness, as often happens when I type.  Basically, I was just wondering if anyone would say "it sucks, don't do it" or "it's awesome, do it" or anything else.

I'm not going for a PR, I don't think a winter off road race would really get me one, especially with the piss poor amount of running I've been doing lately.  I just want to run it for the sake of something new, and I'm convinced I should run a marathon a month in 2012 so it seemed a good race to start the year with. 

Oh, and nice to meet you, by the way.  I do like to drink beer and to run (in fact, I like the two together a lot too), so I'll check out your races this coming year :-)

Can I register morning of?  If not, how long do I have to register online?  Also, I assume there is no support along the course, but that I can make my own aid station since it is a loop, is this right?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

Dave, online registration normally closes the Wednesday before the race at midnight. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

On On

Dave, it was nice to meet you.  Great job on Saturday.  2nd place in the Marathon.  Nice start to 2012.

I hope you check out more of our races in the future.  If you don't have a March marathon check out NJ Ultra Festival.  And for May there are many maniacs that use the 3 Days at the Fair as a certified marathon.  The 3 Days course is actually the only course we use that is certified.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Rick, 

My wife and I had a great time.  But you never told me it would be such a hard course!  Big grin

It was easily the hardest marathon I've run.  That big hill climb was intense!  And it seemed most of the rest of the time was either up or down on those crazy rocks!

I will be back next year, and I vow to run the actual course and not the extra mile + I added getting lost so many times -I clocked 28.4 so I this goes in my log as an ultra Clown .  But at least now I know how to read trail markers (I always wondered what those weird marks on the trees were!).

I'll also check out some more of your races.  I think I will need a March marathon too, so thanks for info!  

And next year I plan to get first place.  So do me a favor and don't invite anyone faster!! 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team