Is this rude? (Read 1336 times)

I run back for my wife sometimes. I like running with her and the picture of us crossing the finish line together.
    Gig

I wish someone would run back for me. Sad
      I'd run back for you, Bugs, Yes except that you'd end up finishing before me. Confused

Hoodoo Guru

I know this sounds terrible, but every time I see runners who have already finished coming towards me on a course I think they are bastards, rubbing it in that they finished already. Even though they have every right to do so and the best intentions, my tired brain goes into evil mode. Evil grin I understand why people do it, but those horrible thoughts about them always go thru my mind.

The tangents are moot.

Also, most races I compete in are not in my neck of the woods, so I'd rather stay where I know I won't get lost.
          Good point! Smile

Michelle

jeffdonahue

I used to feel this way, but ran a 5K last year and my daughter ran too. I was going for a PR but she wanted me to run back and finish it up with her. Which of course, I did. It kind of made me realize that people arent doing it to rub it in but rather probably have a valid reason for running back the course
              This came up on RW also today. Must be the question of the day. Wink I probably don't have any problem with (1) someone coming back to run someone in or (2) running back to start (point-to-point race, no shuttle) to get car - IF there is adequate space in both cases and person yields to racers still on course. This can be a major issue in trail races, esp. if narrow trail at the end. There's also an issue of providing an advantage to some runners and not others. Cheering from finish line and sidelines is fine. I think sometimes people may not realize the impact they're having on other racers when racers are running as hard as we can for the finish and suddenly there's oncoming traffic. I guess I have a hard time imagining a place so limited in running opportunities that a cooldown would have to be run on the course and why mileage markers are needed for a cooldown. (The need for mileage markers came from people I consider experienced both here and on RW. We don't even have mileage markers in our races. So color me puzzled.) I've only run trail races, and usually there's other trails available for the cooldown - or the folks are sufficiently pooped that a little walk works well for cooldown. Note: Most of my races are over 1 hr. Depending on the race and where I am in training, I may add mileage to the race, but wait until everyone is off the course, even if there's only about 1/2 mi overlap of where I'm headed on wide track. I'm using DFL or close, so it's not that long a wait in most cases (can be 30 min or more) and I do believe in cheering the last runner in if it's not me. It's what I was taught early on.
              "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Beatin' on the Rock

My very first race, 5 mi., I ran with a gal pal who ate too much prior, got a little sick at about mile 3. She stopped to see if she could upchuck and rest a bit, I continued on, finished, and then went back for her. As slow as I am, I doubt anyone was miffed. It really never occurred to me that anyone would be. Guess I'll have to pay attention to how I feel when I am lapped by the marathoners at the HM! Smile
                Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                  I was running an early season Good Times 5K, and had gone out too fast. I was laboring at about the 2.5 mile mark when I saw a very fit woman trotting toward me. She had gone back onto the course to warm down, and gave a nice smile and encouraging "finish strong" as she passed. I remember thinking "who the hell is that?" After the race, it sunk in just how fast she ran it. If it was about the 2.5 mile mark, she had run the 3.1 and trotted back 0.6 for 3.7 miles to my 2.5 miles. It turns out she's a local star, if she shows up at a 5K there's a pretty good chance you know your women's winner. Guess she does distance too, I just saw her on the homepage for the Baystate Marathon with her 2007 winning time of 2:55:23. I love seeing gifted men and women at races, and personally have no problem at all with them returning to the course.

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Cause I CAN

During my marathon, I went under an overpass...I dont remember what mile but it was near the end. Anyway, there was a guy leaning against the wall cheering on the rest of us, he already finished and had his medal...I was already shot so seeing him and the medal kind of gave me a boost to keep going.
                    Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                    http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
                      I don't think it's rude at all. I started running to surprise my son who was an elite runner in the area while in college. the first race we ran in together, he didn't even know I was running until he finished and my wife told him. He came down to encourage me. He did that a number of times over the years and I always appreciated it and he admired my dedication and effort. But even if it's not someone I know and they're doing nothing more than doing their cooldown or encouraging everybody, I see nothing wrong with it.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

It is rude, however, to jog back and throw toasters at the runners.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The only time it's rude is when the faster runners ignore the slower runners who are still racing and make a point of waving and greeting the faster runners. That happened to me about a mile from the finish during a 10 mile race last April and I'm still pretty steamed about it. I was running my tail off, dealing with my asthma kicking-in (no thanks to the tool mowing his lawn at 9am and kicking up dust), and still felt obligated to be cordial to other runners. These club members were done, enjoying a relaxing cool-down jog, and wouldn't even make eye contact with us back-o-the-packers, much less return a wave.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

Faster runners don't need to be embarassed and hide their speed any more than slower runners need to be embarassed and hide their lack of it. If somone is upset that I'm cooling down at 7min pace around the course (yes, I have encountered it) they have insecurity issues and it is not my problem. At smaller races I make a HABIT of cooling down on the course so I can cheer people in. It just seems like a nice and friendly thing to do.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

uncontrollable

The truth is I have had that "OMG - I'm dying here & they look so spry (?sp) - why do they need to do that?" feeling at races BUT over the years, w/ experience and really learning to focus on myself, my race, & in general not take what others do to heart...I don't have any + or - feelings on it either way. It's just kinda part of things sometimes. Big grin

peace

I don't think its rude at all. In fact, if I saw somebody faster coming back to me towards the end of a race, I wouldn't think that it had any relevance or relationship to me at all unless they were coming back specifically for me or they started pointing and jeering at me. Which has happened, but seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Normally, when I decide to run back on a course, it's because there's less traffic. If the roads are closed, you know damn well I'm going to run the course backwards for a cool down. What is rude is when the faster runner: (a) Doesn't give racers the right of way (b) All jeers, no cheers (c) Lapping people multiple times I also try to avoid running in the same direction as people that are still racing; I try to take the other side of the road and run against the grain. I don't know that it is necessarily rude, but I feel awkward if I am running past somebody in a cool down and they are digging as deep as they can to finish. Running the other direction makes it a moot point.

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)