Coach's access (Read 2156 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

It would be nice if you could allow another use to make Training schedules for you, and modify your current training plans.  This would allow you to designate a "Coach" and simplify his/her access to your training program.

There are currently ways to get around this (the coach sets up a training plan in his account that you copy -- not sure how it would be updated, though).  But this would allow a coach to monitor and modify the training of all of his/her students.

Of course, it would also be nice if the coach had a quick summary screen of how all of his runners are doing too.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

L Train

You can give your coach your email and password.  Not ideal but it works.

Not knocking your suggestion, but I'd think the coach would have to also alert you to the change.  (At least, I'd want to know about it and why.)  If you're already getting that alert, then I'm not sure what benefit there is to the amendment being made by the coach's fingers v. yours.

One user feature that I didn't find very clear was how to keep one's log private and yet grant log access to selected persons.  I don't mind having mine public, but I can see how someone else might put things in Notes that they don't want visible to everyone.  As seen HERE ... do you provide them that link and the password you've previously set in that text-box?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Not knocking your suggestion, but I'd think the coach would have to also alert you to the change.  (At least, I'd want to know about it and why.)  If you're already getting that alert, then I'm not sure what benefit there is to the amendment being made by the coach's fingers v. yours.

Well, Eric could kick off an email alert -- or flag the training session a different color -- or just put a * next to it when changed.

Mostly this would be useful for week by week training plans.  As in, the coach doesn't establish 18 weeks of training for you up front, but instead lays down a week and then, based on your feedback/performance, sets in another week.

Specifically, it would be helpful for a coach who thinks RA is a good tool, but the student isn't very computer savvy.  I have a friend whom I've brought over to RA; he likes me to set up his training plan week by week.  But he's not sold on the necessity of all this "computerizing".  Mostly, I need him to do the computerizing to see what he's up to.  I'm trying to make it the computerizing burden easy on him--while still benefiting from the good communication data makes possible.

Right now we're using LTrain's suggestion -- but I can't see that working for more than one student at a time -- especially, since browsers only support logging in as one person at a time.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

eric :)

I have talked about creating a coaching console, a tool to let coaches manage their athletes.  It is currently in the story board phase.  It is one of the two projects I will work on next.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have talked about creating a coaching console, a tool to let coaches manage their athletes.  It is currently in the story board phase.  It is one of the two projects I will work on next.

Wow.

L Train

Cool. 

This would be a nice feature, rather than logging in and out and such. 

Now if I could find someone to train me.

Heh, train.

DanMoriarity

Great idea! I would love to see this! I would definitely incorporate it with my athletes.

Great idea! I would love to see this! I would definitely incorporate it with my athletes.

+1

It would be nice if you could allow another use to make Training schedules for you, and modify your current training plans.  This would allow you to designate a "Coach" and simplify his/her access to your training program.

There are currently ways to get around this (the coach sets up a training plan in his account that you copy -- not sure how it would be updated, though).  But this would allow a coach to monitor and modify the training of all of his/her students.

Of course, it would also be nice if the coach had a quick summary screen of how all of his runners are doing too.

+1

Orion Goals: 5k 18:30 10K 38:00 Marathon 3:10

HermosaBoy

Not to be too much of a pain, but...

Any updates on this?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

eric :)

No updates.  Still just stick at the planning phase.  Not exactly sure about the type of information it should display.

Tiefsa

No updates.  Still just stick at the planning phase.  Not exactly sure about the type of information it should display.

I had my runners use RA a few years back.  Like most typical high schoolers who weren't "required" to do something, I probably only had 10% of my runners using RA for all their runs.  I would suggest that the coach could enter very simple data.  

I'm kind of stealing this idea from Steve Magness, but I think this would be a cool coach option.  Give the coach three categories to enter.  Time - Distance - Feel.  The feel section according to Magness is color coded (green=good, yellow=ok, red=bad day).  Let's say a runner has a good time for the day, but they felt awful.  Here's what you might enter

35:20 - 6 miles - Red

Then the coach would have a chart of all his runners.  It would be real cool then to see who has been green consistently, or yellow, or red so you can see what workouts are hurting/helping the runners.  

Just a thought.

HermosaBoy

Kind of like what you did for running wizard, but allow the coach to manually input information for their runners and also view results.  

That way the coach could make training plans for their runners and view actual results.  Maybe general (instead of workout specific) comments would be good too.

Rob

HermosaBoy

Any updates?

Rob