The whole Boston jacket thing (Read 1785 times)

I'm Betty if you're Al

What are people's thoughts about purchasing the jacket prior to the race?  

Please do not mix this up with WEARING the coat prior to that race, that's like wearing a ACDC t-shirt to their concert.  

Last year I planned on picking one up at the expo on Sunday, but when I got there they were all sold out.  I was totally bummed because I had pictured in my head completing the race and sporting the coat at local watering holes... I'm rather superstitious and a part of me just wants to order it now, one last thing to worry about right?  Then there is the part of me that says DON'T DO IT, you'll jinx yourself!  

Am I thinking way to into this, do I need a fashion crisis intervention?

"I would rather have high expectations and fail then have low expectations and succeed." DB

HermosaBoy

What are people's thoughts about purchasing the jacket prior to the race?  

Please do not mix this up with WEARING the coat prior to that race, that's like wearing a ACDC t-shirt to their concert.  

Last year I planned on picking one up at the expo on Sunday, but when I got there they were all sold out.  I was totally bummed because I had pictured in my head completing the race and sporting the coat at local watering holes... I'm rather superstitious and a part of me just wants to order it now, one last thing to worry about right?  Then there is the part of me that says DON'T DO IT, you'll jinx yourself!  

Am I thinking way to into this, do I need a fashion crisis intervention?

I don't think buying it after the race is an option?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

ultramarathon/triathlete

Buy it early.  Put it in the closet.  Wear it after the race.

If buying it now somehow realllly does cosmically "jinx" your race, then there are WAY bigger things to worry about...   

If you bomb the race, it's your own damn fault.  Not some magical running gods punishing you for a jacket.   :-P

I love wearing mine at the local watering holes, fwiw. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

xor

I just got my Sweet Jacket in the mail last night.  Ha.

It went into the closet, with a few of my other Sweet Jackets.

OH BTW... based on pictures at runningwarehouse, I thought the color this year was bright red with black stripes.  Nope.  It's more orange than red. Which I like better but I suspect most will not.

Buy it early.  Put it in the closet.  Wear it after the race.

If buying it now somehow realllly does cosmically "jinx" your race, then there are WAY bigger things to worry about...   

If you bomb the race, it's your own damn fault.  Not some magical running gods punishing you for a jacket.   :-P

I love wearing mine at the local watering holes, fwiw. 

I agree, I bought some stuff before running it last year.  My buds gave me crap about it, but I didn't care.  I didn't wear it before the race, just left it in the closet.  I can tell you it came out in full force after the race when I went out.  :-)  

Chris

DoppleBock

I ran Boston once - It was OK - Not as much fun as expected and way too expensive.  For the cost of Boston I can fly to 2 other fun marathons.  I did not buy a jacket or spend another dime on other stuff they had to offer.

Actually I am not sure of the point of buying a Boston Jacket?  I have plenty of coats that cost 1/2 the price or less.

Is it a conversation piece?  Is it to draw attention to yourself that you ran Boston or that you are fast enough to qualify for Boston.  I do think they look pretty nice ...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Why is it sideways?

I ran Boston once - It was OK - Not as much fun as expected and way too expensive.  For the cost of Boston I can fly to 2 other fun marathons.  I did not buy a jacket or spend another dime on other stuff they had to offer.

Actually I am not sure of the point of buying a Boston Jacket?  I have plenty of coats that cost 1/2 the price or less.

Is it a conversation piece?  Is it to draw attention to yourself that you ran Boston or that you are fast enough to qualify for Boston.  I do think they look pretty nice ...

When you have a USA team jacket, I'd guess that a Boston jacket wouldn't cut it for ya.

Queen of 3rd Place

Yes and yes. I have admitted to myself that I'm enough of a douche to buy it and wear it. Admitting you have a problem, well, in this case it's not gonna fix anything.

Ex runner

A Saucy Wench

I just got my Sweet Jacket in the mail last night.  Ha.

It went into the closet, with a few of my other Sweet Jackets.

OH BTW... based on pictures at runningwarehouse, I thought the color this year was bright red with black stripes.  Nope.  It's more orange than red. Which I like better but I suspect most will not.

Good to know.  because there is a race here that steals the boston colors each year for their shirts.  Or maybe adidas just sells them the unprinted overruns cheap. 

Buy the damn jacket

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

The first time I ran Boston was very special.  I was a poor student and had never run or even been to a race of any real size.  I'd never traveled much of anywhere.  It was a major financial stretch to make the trip happen.  I saved my pennies to get the jacket as a momento, and I still wear it >10 years later.

Well, I've done two more since then and I've bought the jacket each time.  Just to keep the collection complete, I guess.  I was not going to get one last year but I liked the colors.  I don't own other running jackets...I usually don't run in jackets...so they make good cooldown gear at races where some standing around is involved.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

If I bought and wore the jacket people around here (Boston) would probably just think I was a volunteer. I know there is a difference between the jackets but I never seem to figure it out.

I'll probably just spend the $100 on beer and pick up another Supernova t-shirt on the sales rounder for $15 a month after the race like I did last year.

MTA: They give you a nice long sleeve T. Mine happened to be in the dryer when the belt broke and was subsequently melted. Now it has a huge hole in it. Such a shame.

Muebele

I don't care if people think I am a tool for wearing the jacket.  I am going to buy one.  Do you know how much it hurt and how many long hours I spent trying to qualify for boston.  It hurt like hell.  Exspecially the races that I went for it and failed.  I notice when people are sporting the jackets or shirts or whatever, I feel like we are part of the club.  I know that is certainly toolish (yes, it is a word), but damn I earned it!  I already told my wife that we are spending some money at the expo.  And I never buy any of the offical race stuff from any other marathon.  I have never qualified for any athletic event, so I am living this one up!

Now you have made me nervious that there won't be any jackets left.  Maybe I should order mine ahead of time.  I can always just keep it hidden until after the race.

bhearn

I have to admit that, though I've run Boston the past 7 years, I am still a little confused about the jackets. Used to be, I think, there were two jackets... Adidas and Image Impact? And now there is only the Adidas jacket? But that's not quite right, I think. I bought the "official" jacket (Image Impact??) in 2005, my first year. It's way too bulky to actually run in. I bought a bright orange Adidas Boston Marathon jacket in 2007; it's my go-to jacket for actually running in (would be my Marathon Maniacs jacket, but that's a bit on the small side). But I'm not sure it was the "official" jacket that year.

I really liked the 2009 2010 jacket colors; I wish I'd bought one that year.

MTA: Now I remember. 2010 was the one year I ran Boston just for fun, and didn't race it; that didn't seem like the right year to commemorate with a jacket. PRed in 2009 and 2011, but didn't like those jackets. And this year's looks too close to the 2007 that I already have.

bhearn

MTA: They give you a nice long sleeve T. Mine happened to be in the dryer when the belt broke and was subsequently melted. Now it has a huge hole in it. Such a shame.

Oh well -- I guess you will just have to go run it again to get another one. :-)

The longsleeve techs are nice. That's only the past three years. Before that, it was a longsleeve thick cotton shirt.

Adamiata

A Boston jacket tells the world that you've accomplished unique, rare, and special...

just like all 20,000 other people that day. Roll eyes