muscle/tendon tear, fear a repeat is imminent (Read 49 times)

raisinpaw

Hi, new here. I'm a wannabe runner, but circumstances keep preventing me from making much progress :/ Back in March my calf muscle partially tore away from my achilles. It was sudden, I just jumped off my porch then started running towards my driveway (was trying to catch someone before they drove away) then felt a pop, and like something had hit my leg, and went down! Once that happened, I realized that the funny mild pain i had been feeling in that leg off and on the previous week or so, was a warning! Spent a month healing from that, then PT working on strengthening and increasing flexibility in my calf/hamstrings. All seemed well. Try to remember to do some of my exercises at least a couple times a week. A few weeks ago I tried to start couch 2 5k. I only stayed within the first week, because I was getting intense lower leg pain, I *think* in my soleus. It felt more like really intense muscle fatigue, moreso than injury, but I backed off and tried doing more walking, focusing on hills, and one of my PT exercises that worked that muscle good. Figure a little more strength would help and I'd get back at it. So I haven't tried running in a couple weeks. Fully backed off, taking it easy. Now I'm having that same mild pain that came before my previous injury. Same spot, same movements aggravate it. Like getting up from sitting, or crouching down to reach something from lower cabinets. Its the kind of thing that is mild enough to ignore. not particularly bothersome. but it makes me scared that one wrong move and i will re-injure it! I'm not sure what I should be doing right now, as far as stretching (or not?). Should I call the dr, or the PT?

I'd call the PT.  Maybe you have developed some knots that need working out or a re-evaluation of strength on that side.  Whenever you tear something, that area is vulnerable to injury.  Be careful with the stretching.  If you have any pain there, I would not be stretching it.  You need a master plan to return to running and maybe a PT can help with that too.  Good luck.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Sam Pinkowski

Go to a running store and get your running stride analyzed so they can fit you with a shoe correct for your body.  Having the right pair of shoes can make all the difference!