Cold weather running = knee pain (sometimes) (Read 268 times)

OMR

I live in Minnesota and started running about 2.5 years ago.  The first winter was spent mostly on the treadmill, but I'm outside a lot more now.  And one of the things I've noticed is that after I have completed a run in colder weather (let's say below about 40F), my knees hurt after I stop and go inside.  (They don't hurt at all during the actual run.)  Sometimes it's pretty painful, especially going down stairs, but it only lasts about 5 minutes and then goes away, with no residual effects.  It's typically worse after a longer run (more than an hour), but it varies from day to day.

I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this, or if anyone knows a possible cause/solution.  The obvious answer seems to be to make sure they stay warm, but I don't really feel like they are cold, and I'm already wearing thermal pants when it's below about 30-35F.

(I haven't been to a doctor about it, mostly because there are no residual effects.  So, my question at this point is more of a curiosity question rather than a serious concern about my health.)

DoppleBock

Its not cold in Minnesota until below zero - Above zero is shorts and short sleeve weather.

Is this the whole knee the inside or outside or the wee knee? (there was a thread about that one already)

Cool damp weather or cold weather will impact joints - Usually an early sign of arthritis if it is the general knee area and not specific to a side.  I have a bum elbow that is not really happy about cold weather.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I live in Minnesota and started running about 2.5 years ago.  The first winter was spent mostly on the treadmill, but I'm outside a lot more now.  And one of the things I've noticed is that after I have completed a run in colder weather (let's say below about 40F), my knees hurt after I stop and go inside.  (They don't hurt at all during the actual run.)  Sometimes it's pretty painful, especially going down stairs, but it only lasts about 5 minutes and then goes away, with no residual effects.  It's typically worse after a longer run (more than an hour), but it varies from day to day.

I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this, or if anyone knows a possible cause/solution.  The obvious answer seems to be to make sure they stay warm, but I don't really feel like they are cold, and I'm already wearing thermal pants when it's below about 30-35F.

(I haven't been to a doctor about it, mostly because there are no residual effects.  So, my question at this point is more of a curiosity question rather than a serious concern about my health.)

Oh, come on!!  You are not a true Minnesotan if you call "40F and below" COLD!!!? ;o)  Seriously, though, 40F is like a heat-wave for MN!

I don't think I have that problem but I think I understand what you mean.  I think I've probably had it here and there but never paid much attention to it.  Usually, if it bothers you when it's cold (like drizzling rain in the winter...I hate that wet cold!!), it's a nerve thing.  I've been struggling with a bad case of sciatica for the past 4 months, starting July.  And I've noticed it particularly hurts when it's cold.  I remember, in Japan, old people used to say that their sciatica hurts when it's cold in the winter...  It sort of depresses me that I've reached that age group...!!  If I remember it correctly from my old anatomy book, blood vessels and nerve runs right through the knee joint (literally).  Perhaps, for one reason or anther, it's been pressed and it shows more when it's cold???  Actually the only thing I can think of for that is to perhaps strengthen your joint--particularly the joint fluid.  If I remember it correctly, off the top of my head, omega whatever in fish oil helps maintain healthy joint fluid???  I thought I've read something like that somewhere recently.  

Other than that, now they have thick thermal tights with some area, particularly quads and knees, with extra wind-breaking material to protect those areas from harsh wind-chill.  Use stuff like that to keep your knee area warm while running.  I've survived -20~-30 conditions many years (I live in MN for almost 20 years now) so it can be done.

OMR

Haha...well, I did say "colder weather," not "cold weather."  ;-)  What I meant was that the pain typically doesn't happen until it's below 40F.  I haven't made a correlation to humidity (yet), so I don't know if cool damp vs. cool dry is a factor, but I wouldn't be surprised, because it's not consistent from day to day.  Maybe I'll have to start tracking that.

FYI, if I'm doing a harder workout, shorts in the 30s seems to be fine, in terms of not having any knee pain after the run.  Those workouts also tend to be shorter in duration.  (For example, ran a 5K on Saturday with a temp around 33.  Wore shorts and didn't have any issues.)

It is definitely in the joint itself, not in the tendons or muscles.  I do have arthritis in my lower back (diagnosed), and I believe I have it in my thumbs as well (not diagnosed).  So, I guess I wouldn't be surprised if the knees have a little, too, but I thought I would see if anyone else out there has experienced this and come up with some way to deal with it.

Interesting comment on the fish oil.  I may have to investigate that further.

Thanks!