Who else likes to vary up their running locations? (Read 156 times)

paul2432

For road running, I almost always run the roads around my house.  The route will vary depending on the desired distance and number of hills.  I don't think I would ever drive somewhere else just to run on different roads (unless I was meeting friends or wanted to preview a race course).

For trails, I also run mostly from the trail head closest to my house and vary the route as needed to get the desired distance.  I'm more willing to drive a bit  for trails if I want a different elevation profile.  The closest trails, the longest climbs are maybe a mile or so.  If I drive 20-30 minutes I can get to trails with 4-5 mile climbs which I might want training for certain races.  I'll also drive to a trail for race preview purposes.

I also do treadmill running.  I vary the treadmill at the gym (based on availability), but would never consider joining another gym just to use a different treadmill.

For me the most important things is maximizing my training time.  I'd much rather run the same old loop for a little longer or do some strength training afterwards than drive somewhere and not have time to run as much or not have time for the strength workout.

edubirdie

Nice post

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

I run by the riverside near my house, as I'm in a busy urban area. There are three bridges I can cross in a ten mile loop, so I try to take different routes on different days, but always in the same area. It gets a little boring, but the paths are very active early in the morning when I'm out so there's lots to look at. I like variety, but the riverside is a quick 1k away, and I'm not willing to travel much more than that to run most days. There are trails nearby, but they require some transport, so I just do those on weekends.

IMP

75% of my routes start from home and I vary the direction and mileage depending on my goal-intervals, speed, long or easy,etc. I do meet with friends sometimes and then I drive but only a few miles. We vary our mileage as well. Sometimes it is worth getting in the car for the company of others-IMHO. The people I run with have given me advice-not only on running but in my personal life. I value them and have no issue driving to meet up. They have kept me focused and accountable. They make me move to keep up some days because very rarely I refuse to say they are going too fast or doing too many miles.

runsmatt

All of my runs start near my house but there is a major street and trail system just a few blocks away, and the variations are almost endless. I enjoy exploring different parts of it, depending on the type of run I'm doing that day.

Seattle prattle

i run the same route most every day.

A few years back, i had to get ready for a marathon with some notoriously difficult hills late in the race. I devised a very systematic route in my neighborhood that is a flat half mile followed by nonstop hills that are rather long (about a half mile in each direction). I ran that course regularly since because i know how good regular hill work is.

Additionally, I love running this course since it is so visually stunning.I couldn't ask for better.

Of course, I go do a couple of workouts each week on a different course - intervals with a group at the local track and a long run with a group at routes that are chosen by the group and vary week to week.

That's it, and it works very nicely for me.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

For me it's a matter of my mood and mental fatigue level.  If I'm tired, I want to run an old, familiar route so I don't have to think too hard about where I am or where to turn next.  If I'm feeling adventurous, then I'll try striking out in a new direction or running some less frequented roads.  Living in a semi-dense suburban area, I have lots of choices, such as just running the same basic route, but two blocks over from where I usually run.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27