Someone tell me how to warm up for a 5k. (Read 299 times)

The shorter the race, the longer the warm up.  A marathon is a 5 minute jog max.  A 5k is a warm up of 3 miles with added strides.  If you are using the start of your 5k race to warm up, your performance will definitely suffer.

spinach

Also, when the race logistics allow, I sometimes run the course for the warmup. It's about the right distance, and you get a sneak preview.

The only problem with this is that you're running so much slower that you get the feeling that every piece of the course is SO FAR AWAY.

I find this a benefit in that in the race I am getting to each piece of the course so quickly.

The shorter the race, the longer the warm up.  A marathon is a 5 minute jog max.  A 5k is a warm up of 3 miles with added strides.  If you are using the start of your 5k race to warm up, your performance will definitely suffer.

How long before the race does the warmup end?

Dave

mikeymike

Agree 100%.

For me (back when I, you know, used to be a runner):

mile: 30+ minute warmup including a host of strides, drills and pickups

5k: 20 minutes including some stuff

13.1: jog a mile maybe

26.2: walk to the starting line

Runners run

mikeymike

The only problem with this is that you're running so much slower that you get the feeling that every piece of the course is SO FAR AWAY.

I find this a benefit in that in the race I am getting to each piece of the course so quickly.

I agree. The warm-up is a slow motion preview where you can actually take in some details so that hopefully during the race, when it's all coming at you at warp speed and being absorbed by an oxygen starved brain, it looks kinda familiar.

Runners run

10 to 15 minutes.  The goal is to only be standing still for maybe 5 minutes while the anthem is being sung.  Although I would vote that the anthem is banned from the pre-race ceremonies so that we could just get going.

How long before the race does the warmup end?

kilkee

runktrun

just flounder around jogging a mile or two, half-heartedly doing some strides

Nailed it.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Joann Y

Nailed it.

If I make no attempt at warming up properly then I've always got a good excuse for a bad race. Hey-oh!

Momentum

I start with 5-10 minutes of alternating 50m of high knees and 50m of butt-kickers.  I do 50m jog out following each drill.  I finish with 10 pushups, 10 air squats, and 10 burpees before heading to the start line for the race for whole body warmup and preparation.  IMHO, if you are running the course or spending more time warming up than it is going to take you to complete the race, you are spending too much energy.

That being said, I really like to run the course at least once or twice and drive it (if its a road race) once as well.  For example, my wife and I  running the Manchester Road Race here in CT on Thanksgiving.  We drove the course the first time last Sunday and are going to run it for the first time in 3 weeks.