Anyone had an Ankle Tenex procedure done? How did it go? (Read 73 times)

rahblah

Has anyone had the Tenex procedure on their ankle? I am considering it with my doctor. I had very bad Achilles tendonitis and plantar faciits. Mostly got better in about 3 months of physical therapy, but never went away. I had interstional tendonitis for about another year and got fed up and went back to the doctor.

After an MRI, he's suggesting tenex and prp. I am nervous that it will end up worse than it started.

Has anyone gone through these procedures and has experience to share?

Thanks.

an amazing likeness

4 pages of Tenex discussion, might be of interest.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

rahblah

4 pages of Tenex discussion, might be of interest.

Thank you, milktruck! I read through that but sadly there are not many in that thread that have actually had the procedure before. I'm looking for (hopefully) success stories.

SMART Approach

Has anyone had the Tenex procedure on their ankle? I am considering it with my doctor. I had very bad Achilles tendonitis and plantar faciits. Mostly got better in about 3 months of physical therapy, but never went away. I had interstional tendonitis for about another year and got fed up and went back to the doctor.

After an MRI, he's suggesting tenex and prp. I am nervous that it will end up worse than it started.

Has anyone gone through these procedures and has experience to share?

Thanks.

Does your MRI show inflammation and true tendinitis OR diseased tissue, no inflammation and tendinosis? I am guessing the latter as a doc probably would not recommend for acute type symptoms. Keep doing your research.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

rahblah

Does your MRI show inflammation and true tendinitis OR diseased tissue, no inflammation and tendinosis? I am guessing the latter as a doc probably would not recommend for acute type symptoms. Keep doing your research.

He didn't say specifically anything about inflammation. I'm assuming that means it's not inflamed. He said "the achilles is very very thick and that is causing your pain" roughly.

This isn't acute really. This has been around for almost 2 years.

SMART Approach

Yes, definitely tendinosis. I am always cautious of doing procedures on the achilles. Have you done consistent eccentric resistance protocol on achilles over several weeks? Foot strengthening on PF?

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

rahblah

Yes, definitely tendinosis. I am always cautious of doing procedures on the achilles. Have you done consistent eccentric resistance protocol on achilles over several weeks? Foot strengthening on PF?

No. I have been a bit scared of eccentric heel drops although right now it's not that bad at all comparatively. I was scared from how painful it was over a year ago.

Is there a specific link you'd refer me to for exactly the protocol? I've just been following YouTube videos. Also is "PF" the same as pfsurvivalguide.com?

Thank you so much for your help!  I am also pretty cautious about this. I need to be standing/walking a lot for my children and I dont' want to be out of commission for a while and I don't want it to end up worse than it is now.

SMART Approach

My most recent bout was bad enough that the eccentric heel drops REALLY HURT. I only did a few sets of 5 a day for a few days, and have increased them to sets of 15-25, and without the stabbing pain, just a sharp pain. According to the literature, pain doing these is OK, and doesn't make it "worse". It's supposed to be breaking up the cross-grain collagen that has formed, leaving the directional collagen you want. The pain would be the tearing of the cross-grain collagen, I suppose.

I took a few days off running because I HAD to; I was limping while running. I have been taking every other day of for a week, but I'm going to take 2 days off in a row now, because I am finally walking without limping and the time off helps. Also icing, even though it's tendonosis. Maybe it's the surrounding tissue that gets inflamed.

I also caught a bit about eating bone broth and JELLO to promote collagen growth on a NPR show about aging athletes today. I'll check into that more. Might be making some JELLO!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

rahblah

I've decided that I'm going to try that protocol before getting the surgery. I am currently trying to stretch out bent knee and straight knee and it is pretty painful but has slowly started getting better. 180 reps per day sounds ridiculous but if that's what it takes, I'd much rather do that than go through a surgery and potential recovery.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

FWIW, I found that if I was diligent about dixie-cup icing after each session of eccentric heel drops, it helped the post heel-drop-exercise pain a lot. (I went cold turkey on NSAIDS in January, so I've got nuttin' else... :-D) --Christine

In the last several days I've remembered to do the heel drops, I'm shooting for 200+ a day in sets of 50. And in just the 4-5 days I've felt a noticeable improvement; BUT it may also be due to time. My aggravations tend to gradually go away over 2-4 weeks with continued limited running.

rahblah

FWIW, I found that if I was diligent about dixie-cup icing after each session of eccentric heel drops, it helped the post heel-drop-exercise pain a lot. (I went cold turkey on NSAIDS in January, so I've got nuttin' else... :-D) --Christine

Oh that's a great idea. I should try it.

It's been 3 days since I started the Alfredson protocol. So far, everything has been painful but going well. I'm doing the stretches and heel drops every day. I had to start learning quite a bit on the wall in front of me, but now I can lean a little less. I don't really feel like it's been getting better yet, but definitely not worse. I am feeling incredibly sore, as expected I suppose.

SMART Approach

I am not a big fan of icing for this condition. Before your exercises, be sure to walk a bit to loosen up the foot ankle. I am also a fan of doing some massage in all directions in that area. Use Arnica a few times per day. I also love warming oil from Sinew Therapeutics. I used before my races and swear by it. Great to use before tour exercises. They actually have a tendonosis tincture you can look at too.....homeopathic.  Google them. If you are going all in then go all in. Wishing you luck.

Yes: warm before running, ice after.

I've found that the icing immediately afterwards helps recovery from pain for the next day. A lot. Even though it's tendonosis, I suspect that it results in inflammation of some tissue when irritated, so icing calms that down faster.