Half Marathon Tapering (Read 111 times)

emmbee

queen of headlamps

I've been following, or meant to follow, the McMillan 4-5 day per week plan.  I say "meant to" because it's been a rough training cycle, interrupted by a sleepless child and business trips, so I haven't been recovering well between workouts at all, and the plan's speed sessions did not seem to be suited for someone as slow as I. Still, here I am, three weeks out.  15 miles today as per plan's recommendations...

But the next two weeks confuse me.  The plan recommends, for long runs:

105-120 minutes (~10-12 miles) two weeks out

12-14 miles one week out.

PR in the half is 2:00:07 (September 2014); recent half (March 20150 no taper, ran it as a strong run but didn't push it) 2:04Tight lippedx.   I want to go sub 2 and I think it's a reasonable goal if I get some rest.

New runner of about 18 months, so I'm doubting my judgment, but....this strikes me as a little bit much.  I'm pretty comfortable completing 12 now, but I'm wondering if it would make more sense to replace the one week out workout with a run of about 8 miles.

Thoughts?

SMART Approach

Don't need that many miles a week out especially a lower mileage runner like yourself. Do only 8 miles but mix in some goal paced miles in middle of run for confidence. This will be your last quality work out of significance.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Thanks!