Increasing Mileage (Read 854 times)

On another note, what are other's experiences with increasing their mileage? What is safe, what works, what doesn't? What is a suggested rate of increasing mileage weekly - other than recommended training schedules. You can take a look at my log and see my progress since January (when I started running seriously). I'm training for the Boston Half Marathon this October 12. In a related topic, I'm wondering if my mileage increase is what may cause my runner's knee or if is strictly form and body type. Opinions? Experiences? Advice? Thanks!

2012: Just run.

Dave

The rule of thumb you hear most often is the 10% rule. Don't increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% in any given week from the one previous. Looks like you've been building mileage steadily. I think you need to let your body guide you. If you're getting knee issues, you may want to get fitted for some new shoes by a good running store and then see how things feel. It won't do you any good to add miles if you end up injured and can't run. For me, I have to avoid running my miles too fast and saving the harder efforts for one or two workouts each week. Otherwise, my legs, feet, and knees start to feel pretty beat up.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

It's different for everyone. You have to feel your way through it and build at your pace. A bump in mileage can definitely cause a flare up of runners knee. I've never started running again after a long layoff or made a big jump in mileage without having it flare up. Fortunately it's something that is manageable. Ice works well. Rest if its absolutely necessary. But my personal experience is its something you have to work through and get on the other side of it. There are exercises that help but the best way to strengthen the muscles and connective tissues that will prevent runners knee is to keep running, in my experience.

Runners run

I was asking the same questons as you.....then I went and got some top of the line shoe and found that my mileage increases came much easier.......so I would say to start with your feet and make sure you have really good shoes...which may mean spending some time at a good running shoe store and figuring it out...... After that, you can try to increase by about 10% per week or perhaps 1 mile per week, and then every 4th week cut back (rest week)....so for instance ..... week1 - 13 -- Week2 - 14 Week3 - 15 - Week4 - 13 Week 5 - 15 Week 6 - 16 ... Week 7 - 14 and so onn .....or some similar schedule that works for you and builds your mileage....... You should have a minimum of 20 MPW (for a few weeks) and a few 10 to 12 mile runs under your belt by race day... And if your not ready this year.......they will have it next year......take your time and dont get hurt...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Hawt and sexy

At long as I ran slow, I had no problems with increasing mileage. But I ran a ton. I will get back at it soon.

I'm touching your pants.

First of all thanks everyone for giving yoyr feedback! I really appreciate it! I am running in the Asics Gel Evolution III shoes which are still new (got them in May). I'm going to try to keep my pace down and definitely will try the exercises. I'm happy you told me not to ignore it - that's where I was headed - I thought I could just run through it. Great tips and I'll heed them all. Thanks!!!

PS. I Got my shoes picked and fitted from the pro running store Marathon Sports on Boylston street in Boston on the BAA marathon finish line. They're really great there - she checked my feet and watched me run up and down the sidewalk in a couple different pairs before we decided on the Evos. Thanks for the advice though!