Deseret News Marathon Race Report (Read 1107 times)

    This is somewhat long, but I post it anyway only because it is theraputic to cathart. On Monday (July25), I ran the Deseret News Marathon in Salt Lake City. Only 8 weeks before, I had run a 3:30:30 marathon. At DesNews--well, it went downhill-literally and figuratively. Background-I developed an ITB problem about mid-June, and went to a Physical Therapist for a few weeks to work through the problem. I thought it was taken care of. I had no problems when I ran my July 4th race, and as recently as the weekend before the marathon I was able to complete a 14 miler with no problems. I thought I was home free. I certainly knew that there was no way it was going to flare up during my taper week. So much for what I thought I knew. It was fine until Thursday evening, after a short (2 mile) run. I could tell that it had returned ever so slightly. I was not happy about it, but felt that with a few days rest before the marathon, it might be ok. The problem is, it did not get better over the next few days. On Sunday, the day before the marathon, I told my wife that it was not a question of if it would flare up, it was just a question of when and how bad. But, I KNEW I would at least be able to complete the marathon-maybe around 4-4? hours. Was I ever wrong. The race started, and for those familiar with the course, it is a pretty good downhill right off the bat (total elevation change = 3200ft; 1st 4 miles = 1300ft drop). I tried holding back, thinking that a more measured pace would help prevent further injury. No such luck. I knew by mile 4 that it was going to be a long day, but I still thought I would be able to keep running-even if at a slow pace. Around mile 5 or 6 there is a slight uphill portion of the race. Going uphill, my leg felt fine. Then, of course, the downhill starts all over again, and goes and goes and goes. I tried shortening my stride, lengthening my stride, changing my pace, changing sides of the road-whatever. Nothing worked. The pain kept getting worse. By mile ten, I told myself that I could run at least until mile 13, and then perhaps I could make it through by walking a quarter mile, running a half, walking, etc. At first, this seemed to work ok. I could walk fast with little pain. When I ran, however, it just got worse. Then, it became painful even when I walked. Eventually, I had to walk without trying to bend the leg. It felt like a knife being stabbed in the side of my leg. I felt like a cripple-and walked like one as well. I would have paid any amount of money if a doctor just happened to come by with a cortisone shot. Or two. You can see the tale of the tape in my splits: Mile 1 8:17 Mile 2 7:55 Mile 3 8:21 Mile 4 8:04 Mile 5 7:59 Mile 6 8:04 Mile 7 8:11 Mile 8 8:23 Mile 9 8:22 Mile 10 8:26 Mile 11 8:12 Mile 12 8:19 Mile 13 9:04 Mile 14 10:01 Mile 15 11:27 Mile 16 13:32 Mile 17 15:31 Mile 18 16:40 I saw my wife at mile 18, knew that there was no way I could do another 8 miles with the pain, knew that I was just running this as a training run anyway, had already qualified for Boston, was worried about further injury to my leg if I even could have kept going, knew that I really want to run the St. George Marathon in October for time, knew my wife had a car right there, and, well, I stopped. First time I have ever failed to complete any race in my life. Emotionally, that was about as painful as the leg. I was angry, I was depressed, I was discouraged. And, not a little humbled and embarrassed. But-there was nothing left to give. So, I had to drop out at mile 18. On a more cheerful note-I did get to run with my son, who was running his first marathon-he finished in 4:44. Having completed his first marathon, he says he has new-found respect for anyone who runs one, no matter what their time. So, there you have my report, for what it may be worth. Hopefully, in October, I can report better news.
    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

      WOW! I know the pain you are going through with your ITB, I had the same injury during track....i took off two weeks, but it hasn't gone away. However, the pain for me is on the side of my knee, leading all the way up to my hip, and usually hurts the worst when i go UP hills. I thought i had nursed it back to health, when it went away for two weeks, but it's back. Last week, I was out on the trails and came to steep hill, and i literally could not force my leg to bend for me to get up the hill. Luckily, i was injured during track, so even when the pain first started and i tried to run through it, i only had, at the most, 2 miles to worry about. I can't imagine how hard finishing a marathon in that condition would be. You did the best thing in dropping out...my coach tried to force me to drop out of an 800 when my injury flaired up! Take care in your training, and best of luck at Boston!

        Wow, I'm just impressed with your planned mileage. A marathon 8 weeks ago, an attempted one earlier this week, and another one in a little over two months? That's crazy! Best of luck in the next one, I hope you can recover and heal in time for it.

        gimme some sugar, baby

          That's tough man, very hard to tough out an IT band injury. I've knocked mine out... had one two years ago that really killed me. Good luck in October.
          George: Runner/Law Student

          You'll ruin your knees!

            Hey Pron8r, Hold your head up, be an example to your son of knowing when to paly it safe. You've got a 3:30 in the bank and absolutely nothing to be ashamed of! Take some time to rest and get on the web to get ideas for that leg (sounds a lot like ITB and there are a lot of good stretches for that). The key now is what you do next... Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your prep for St George. Lynn B

            ""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)