Silver Bowl 5 Mile Run for Education (Read 611 times)

As part of my marathon training, I run the occasional shorter distance races (5K to Half Marys) for speedwork. I don't like runs less than a half-mary, but I do them. I don't like them because they hurt and, quite frankly, I'm not disciplined enough to push myself beyond a certain pain threshold. But, I am glad I ran this race if for no other reason that it was a beautiful day in Las Vegas, with clear, sunny skies and a start-line temperature of about 55. After the last couple of weeks I have had at work, it was a great day to escape the day-to-day work world. It was a cross-country course, up and down hills on a somewhat-rutted dirt road. As a street runner, I had to spend nearly the entire run watching my feet placement. If not, it would have been an invitation for a twisted ankle. Nonetheless, I had fun, and finished with a time of 34:22 (6:50 pace), first in my old-dude division (50-54, and I am at the most senior end of that, turning 55 in about 6 weeks), 22nd overall out of 230 runners. At the finish line, they had a veritable smorgasbord of treats--bananas, bagels, juices, energy bars, apples, oranges, cookies, ice cream, all for the taking. And, a lot of giveaways, of which neither I nor any of my running friends won a thing. Whatever. To console ourselves, we stopped at In-and-Out (they make some of the best burgers around) on the way home. And as soon as I can figure out a way to fax a check to jlynnbob, or Trent, or JK, or....I'll have them write a more robust running report for me. Cheers.
    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

Dog-Love

A darn impressive way to start a Las Vegas day! Not just a fast 5K but a nice and toasty 55 degrees. I am partly envious (I love the snow but I am ready for spring) Must feel great to be so speedy! I can run that fast for 800 meters tops! And then I want to get sick. Congrats on 1st and congrats on the upcoming birthday. I like those brief race reports although it is fun to read a meter by meter account. When you live in Las Vegas do you end each day at the slot machines?
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
        When you live in Las Vegas do you end each day at the slot machines?
        You can bet on it. Not.
        My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
        mikeymike

Nice race and nice report, Don. Not bad for a guy who doesn't like to dip below 13.1 miles. You said you're running Boston--are you doing another 7 marathons in 7 months like last year?

Runners run

Nice race and nice report, Don. Not bad for a guy who doesn't like to dip below 13.1 miles. You said you're running Boston--are you doing another 7 marathons in 7 months like last year?
            Thanks. This year, I only have 6 marathons planned.
            mikeymike

Oh taking it easy, huh?!

Runners run

JakeKnight

And as soon as I can figure out a way to fax a check to jlynnbob, or Trent, or JK, or....I'll have them write a more robust running report for me. Cheers.
                I'd be happy to write your race report ... for a small fee. Congrats on this race - and happy birthday in advance. I know runners are about the only people that get really excited about every fifth birthday, so you're probably pumped about it. Of course, at your speed, it doesn't really matter. You're already winning. But, man, in the 55-59 age group, you are going to just dominate. Good for you! (Of course, if I lived in Vegas and had just turned 55, I'd hate your guts. But what can you do?) Vegas sounds like runner's paradise in the winter - how bad are the summers? Can you just not run? Do you run at night or early mornings?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Oh taking it easy, huh?!
                  Well, you know--moderation in (almost) all things.
                    I'd be happy to write your race report ... for a small fee.
                    Of that I have no doubt. I'll have my people get in touch with your people.
                    Congrats on this race - and happy birthday in advance. I know runners are about the only people that get really excited about every fifth birthday, so you're probably pumped about it.
                    Thanks. You are so right--we are kind of different that way. And since it's inevitable, yeah, I'm looking forward to it.
                    Vegas sounds like runner's paradise in the winter - how bad are the summers? Can you just not run? Do you run at night or early mornings?
                    It do get warm in the summers--several weeks in a row of 100+ temps. Fortunately, I like running in the heat, and run right after work about 5:30pm. If the temp is below 105, it really doesn't bother me (much). The only concession we make make is to start our long runs on the weekends at about 6am instead of our usual 6:30am winter start.