While running I developed Achilles Tendonitis (Read 102 times)

Hello,

This is my first post.

I used to run 4.2 miles almost everyday last year. When I lost my job, I started running twice a day and I think because of that I developed Achilles Tendonitis. I did go to the doctor's office and they are the one who said it's "Achilles Tendonitis". They gave to some simple stretching exercise  and said it will get better but it hasn't.

It's been a year now and my legs are still not getting better.

My questions are,

Has anyone been through this scenario? (I can't be the first one)

Have you gotten any better? what did you do to get a complete recovery?

I now have pain in the back of my heels if I even walk for long, so I just want to get back to where I was last year.

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

NK

I developed it walking the Camino de Santiago (860 km, a month of walking ca. 25 km a day). Nothing helped until I got pregnant and didn`t run for almost a year.

That was 13 years ago. When I now feel the AT starting to act up, I roll it and my calves on the rolling pin or on the foam roller (but the rolling pin helps faster I think) and it just goes away.

Daydreamer1

I pretty much live with it all the time. Sometimes it's not too bad, just a little soreness that can be stretched out. Other times it takes a mile or two before the ankle loosens up to the point that I can get a full stride. If it  gets too painful I'll use Voltaren gel on it. This is a topical NSAID that works quite well for me. Talk to your Dr about it.  If it gets really, really painful I'll use Meloxicam for several days. This is another NSAID.  I prefer to control the soreness and stiffness first by stretching and massage, then the Vlotaren since it's topical, and leaving the Meloxicam for a last resort.

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

I really struggled with this until I started to strictly follow the Alfredson protocol, which is essentially 3 x 15 straight leg eccentric heel drops and 3 x 15 bent knee eccentric heel drops twice per day for 12 weeks. Before, I abandoned the protocol and took breaks with running because it led to an increase in pain in the achilles. After further research, I discovered that mild to moderate pain is expected and is a sign of recovery.

Before changing my approach, I was unable to run much more than 10 miles/week. Since strictly following the protocol, I am back up to 15-20 miles/week with no pain or discomfort and am continuing with building back my base.

Of course, see a doctor and defer to her judgment but I would definitely recommend researching the Alfredson protocol and adopting it to the extent you feel is appropriate. This is a good starting point for your research: http://www.runningwritings.com/2011/09/injury-series-flat-eccentric-heel-drops.html.

Joann Y

I really struggled with this until I started to strictly follow the Alfredson protocol, which is essentially 3 x 15 straight leg eccentric heel drops and 3 x 15 bent knee eccentric heel drops twice per day for 12 weeks. Before, I abandoned the protocol and took breaks with running because it led to an increase in pain in the achilles. After further research, I discovered that mild to moderate pain is expected and is a sign of recovery.

Before changing my approach, I was unable to run much more than 10 miles/week. Since strictly following the protocol, I am back up to 15-20 miles/week with no pain or discomfort and am continuing with building back my base.

Of course, see a doctor and defer to her judgment but I would definitely recommend researching the Alfredson protocol and adopting it to the extent you feel is appropriate. This is a good starting point for your research: http://www.runningwritings.com/2011/09/injury-series-flat-eccentric-heel-drops.html.

Same here. This works for me every time.

First, Thank you for sharing your experience.

So for 12 weeks, you did those stretching exercise and no running correct?

Are you now able to run normally without pain? do you still do those stretching exercise?

How often do you change running shoes?

Sorry for too many questions.

Joann Y

Are you now able to run normally without pain? do you still do those stretching exercise?

When I did this I wasn't super strict about it. Maybe 3 x 10 each side per day. And I kept running. It's not really stretching. I would read the description of how to do these closely and just try to do some every night. Start with 1 x 10 each side and see how that goes. Then increase.

When I did this I wasn't super strict about it. Maybe 3 x 10 each side per day. And I kept running. It's not really stretching. I would read the description of how to do these closely and just try to do some every night. Start with 1 x 10 each side and see how that goes. Then increase.

Thank you.

Do you still have to do those after 12 weeks?

Joann Y

Thank you.

Do you still have to do those after 12 weeks?

I think I probably did them for 4 weeks at the most. I would have to look at my log. On occasion (maybe a couple times a year) I will get some achilles pain and I do these for a few days and it goes away. I hate to say it's like magic but it kind of is.

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

I kept miles low at first but did not stop running this time around. I was able to find some sources that said that keeping running to some extent helps recovery. This is probably a decision that might be best to be made with a PT or MD.  I will say, however, that previous times around with this problem I did stop running and did the exercises less diligently and recovery never went as well.

Yes, I am able to run normally without pain. I am about 10/12 weeks through the protocol and plan to finish the 12 weeks. Not sure whether I will keep going past that.

I change running shoes whenever they feel dead not at any strict mileage but it ends up being at the 175-250 mile range most of the time.