Dog attack while out running (Read 1245 times)

Top 'O the World!

**hijack: Jarrod - love the avatar!! end hijack** As I've posted before, (elsewhere I believe) I run w/my dog & I've had a couple of scarey encounters w/a young Pit Bull & black G. Sheperd mix....couldn't tell ya why the Pit let us go, but I had the "opportunity" to pick up a rather large stick/tree branch w/the sheperd....which changed my stance from nervous to pissed....he still watched us as we moved "out of his territory" (green belt trail) but gave us some distance......Now, the coyote was the coolest customer of all ~ stalking from a distance! Sooo, now I carry a campknife in my pack - just in case & as a last measure. btw, I also run in some pretty out of the way wildlife areas....
    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
    juki

Well, I was attacked last weekend by a German Shepherd who was on a leash! Broke skin and scared the sh*t out of me. Unfortunately, the owner was totally unresponsive and I was too shocked and angrered by his attitude to get his contact info. So now I have to go for the full series of rabies shots unless I see him again in the next few days and can get his dog in for observation by the health dept. Fat chance of that since I've never seen him before. Total drag. So, the lesson is: try, try, try to find out who owns the dog so you can avoid unnecessary (and expensive, and time consuming) vaccinations. I reported the attack to the police, so I can call them when/if I see guy and dog again. They said not to carry pepper spray (mostly because of other people, not dogs), as it's a weapon that can be used against you. It can also malfunction -- you spray it into a headwind and you're screwed. Also learned that the effects are much worse if you're sweating. You can bet I'll be running with a cell phone from now on, though. Be careful out there. Smile

Life is Good

Police kill 2 pit bulls after attack on jogger By TIM EBERLY The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Published on: 02/16/08 A Stone Mountain Park police sergeant shot and killed two pit bulls Saturday morning after the dogs attacked a jogger and tried to attack the officer, police said. Sgt. Mike Carney killed the dogs along Stonewall Jackson Drive, which runs along the south and east sides of the park, after they attacked Billy Rowe, 60, of Decatur, said Robert L. "Chuck" Kelley, the park's police and fire chief. • More Metro news The attack occurred shortly before 9:30 a.m. while Rowe was jogging along Stonewall Jackson, Kelley said. Rowe fell and suffered cuts or lacerations on his ear, stomach and fingers, the chief said. Another jogger who witnessed the attack grabbed a stick and came to Rowe's rescue, beating the pit bulls off him. The two joggers fled from the dogs and reported the incident to park police, Kelley said. Officers began searching for the canines, and Carney spotted them near where the attack occurred. As the officer got out of his car, the dogs turned on him. Carney drew his gun and shot the animals when they came near. "He did what he had to do," Kelley said. "We don't like to take that action." An investigation revealed the owner of one of the dogs, Joseph Brown, lives on Rock Shadow Court, in DeKalb County near the park's southern boundary, police said. Brown told authorities that his pit bull escaped through a corner of his fenced-in back yard, Kelley said. Brown said the other dog was not his, but that he had seen it lingering around his home. Park police did not cite Brown for his dog's role in the attack but referred the case to DeKalb County animal control officers, who will decide whether to bring charges. Rowe was treated at DeKalb Medical Center for his injuries, which were minor, the chief said. Pepper spray? Gun? Stick? carry what ever is legal for you to have and use it when necessary!

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

Imminent Catastrophe

... They said not to carry pepper spray (mostly because of other people, not dogs), as it's a weapon that can be used against you. It can also malfunction -- you spray it into a headwind and you're screwed...
          That is atrociously bad advice IMHO, and I would bet that most police officers would agree with me. That's like saying, don't carry a stick, because you might poke yourself in the eye. Pepper spray can save you from human or animal predators, as long as you have a little bit of sense. There's a saying: "When seconds count, the police arrive in minutes".

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016