How much "down time" between 20 mi race & marathon? (Read 333 times)

I just finished the Martha's Vineyard 20 miler last Sat (3:09:48 -- right on my goal pace of 9:30), and am considering riding out my current training peak by registering for the new Providence Marathon (May 4). Is this a bad idea? And if I go for it, do I stick with my 9:30 pace training? I've been using Furman's FIRST plan to this point, and it's done well by me, though I could get in more of the cross-training/strength work. I've been running for most of my life, and doing half-marathons since 2003, but have never done 26.2.

Carolyn - Boston Marathon 2014 Training Blog
    Yo tengo que soñar, asi nadie me va a parar, asi puedo volar.

A Saucy Wench

That seems like a decent interval.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I don't think it's a bad idea. I say go for it. Depending. Regarding training - I don't know much about FIRST - but you have about 10 weeks between now and then - assuming you don't need any more recovery time since your 20 miler. In your last log entry you said your legs felt fresh again. 10 weeks without a lot of base is not optimal but it's enough time to add some more marathon specific training since you just trained for a 20 miler. Pick a plan that you like and adapt it down to however many weeks you have left (since many of them are about 16 weeks). I would start by chopping out some of the beginning weeks. Regarding pace, your weekly mileage is a tad on the low side. I would say do it with a goal to finish. Work on a marathon with a time goal in your next one. If you do have a specific time goal - I would recommend not running this one and do one later in the year when you have more time to prepare.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?