New Year's Run (Read 503 times)

Happy New Year! Wanting to see the sunrise this morning from the top of a nearby mountain (hill really) I set the alarm for 6AM and slept in my running duds. I laced up and stumbled out the door a few minutes after six. The predawn sky was beautiful--hadn't seen such a bright moon in a long time. I ran to the top of the mountain and met a young family and an old man who also were there for the sunrise. We quickly became friends. Not knowing what time sunrise would be, I ended up waiting with them for about 45 minutes as the sky became pink, then pale blue and finally the first sunbeam of the year pierced the horizon. After cheering and greeting the 20 or so others who had by now made it up the mountain, I returned home with a sekihan riceball given to me by my new friends and had some steaming ozoni (mochi soup eaten on New Year's Day in Japan). Perfect start to the year. Happy New Year everyone! I'd love to hear about your first runs of 2008. -Jeremy

Jeremy

Running safely

My first run was toward the beach this morning. Since I live 20 miles from the beach, I did not make it all the way (nor had any intentions to). Sunday night I had preached at a church up at the beach and on the way up I noticed that with the new road construction there was a whole 3 lane road that has not been opened up yet. I could run on it without having to worry at all about traffic. I decided then that I wanted to make my first run of the year up that road. This morning, after getting out of bed late, I headed out the door and toward the beach. It was an 8.6 mile round trip run. My longest run in a couple of months. I had a great time.
        Did a nice 4.2 miles today to kick off the new year.
        "If I control myself, I control my destiny."

Maggie & Molly

My New Year's run was 7.3 (round) with my turn around being at the beach. Today is a chilly (40), bit windy and rainy day but it felt good to be out running. As I got closer to the beach I realized that I was running past a long line of people heading to the beach for a polar plunge. We all start our New Year in our own way!!!! Today was the longest run, ever, for me so this has been a fantastic way to start 2008.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
          Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Sierra Foothills Runner

The local running group organizes a "Tower to Tower" run annually to kick off the new year. It's from one fire tower to another 9 miles away. We had a beautiful running day - a lot warmer than the thermometer said. It said 35, but felt like 45 -- ideal. So we ran down the hill & up a few on the way to the other monstrous hill to get to the top of Butte Mountain! Awesome views & an awesome start to the new year.
            obiebyke

I decided to get out of my running rut by joining the Couch 2 5 K group. Did my first workout of week 3 (decided to start at where I am now, which is ahead of week 1). It felt pretty slow and a lot more walking than I'm used to, but I think the patience will pay off. People seem to swear by this program! So 1.93 miles in 26 minutes. Starting my 2008 log out with some miles right away! Smile

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Go Pre!

We got a load of snow here in Toronto, but I finally ventured out for an evening run, wore my 2120's with hex screws. Listened to some Chill-Out tunes and covered 5 miles...T'was lovely. Dave

Me and my RP

Got out and did 6 miles. The wind nearly did me in but I wanted to start the year off 'right' so I tortured myselfSmile

My legs are killing me

I ran a 10k race in the snow. It was a bit slippery but it was a great way to start the new year.
                      I ran another 5K- wanted to do one on the last day of the old year and the first day of the new year. I guess staying up late didn't hurt me too bad as I ran the 2nd race 20 seconds faster than the first one.
                      http://distance-runner.blogspot.com