surgeon general says the ladies are getting fat on account of they don't want to muss their 'do. (Read 1505 times)

"run" "2" "eat"

someone (trent? nads?) please locate & post link to this important health warning issued today. we really need some solid discussion here about the issue itself and also the public money spent on researching it. preesh!

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

"run" "2" "eat"

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Best Present Ever

She's not suggesting that there is any research on the topic. It's not as silly as it sounds.  It's very specifically an issue for African American women and girls  with specific kinds of hair. 

- Kathryn, mother of African American children, familiar with the issues of black hair. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Note how the good doctor is photographed with her bike, sans helmet.  Uhhh...sorta defeats her message, right there.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

joescott

She's not suggesting that there is any research on the topic. It's not as silly as it sounds.  It's very specifically an issue for African American women and girls  with specific kinds of hair. 

- Kathryn, mother of African American children, familiar with the issues of black hair. 

+1.  Have to agree with mamaofthree on this one. 

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

"run" "2" "eat"

She's not suggesting that there is any research on the topic.

When researchers at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in North Carolina sampled 103 black women from the area, they found that about a third exercised less because they were concerned it would jeopardize their hair. Of those women, 88 percent did not meet the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines for physical activity, which is 150 minutes of moderate intensity exercise each week, or about 20 minutes a day.

i just highlight this to say, yes, there is at least a small research study, a sample, a survey of some kind.

"run" "2" "eat"

is it really a niche issue?  true story -- my niece is not african american, and she declines to exercise because it will mess up her long, blond, labor-intense coiffure.

in a sort of related story, jc penney pulled from its online store today a tee shirt marketed to girls with the imprinted slogan: i am too pretty to do homework, so my brother does it for me.

girls are too pretty to exercise? too pretty to do homework?

"run" "2" "eat"

ternt, your helpfulness is unbounded.

sometimes it is good to count your blessings.  I spend about 15 seconds per day on my hair (or lack there of). 

"run" "2" "eat"

well, looks like i might have underestimated the importance of good hair to a woman's success.

read article....

we should likely all be trying harder to help girls understand the importance of good hair.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

in a sort of related story, jc penney pulled from its online store today a tee shirt marketed to girls with the imprinted slogan: i am too pretty to do homework, so my brother does it for me.

girls are too pretty to exercise? too pretty to do homework?

Best Week Ever had fun with this.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

thankfully this doesn't seem to have been a problem for the surgeon general.  her hair looks good.

The Terminator

True story, I don't work out after I've gotten a blowout.

"In the South, the cotillion of Machiavelli is played as a soft-shoe, in three-quarter time." - Pat Conroy

#artbydmcbride

True story, I don't work out after I've gotten a blowout.

Cool

Its a big reason I don't do triathlons.

I don't want to muss my 'do.

But I'm not fat either

Runners run