counting calories works! (Read 1529 times)

DoppleBock

I have also found the more simple and routine my diet the better I do.  I eat the same thing almost every day up to dinner, then I just try to keep it to a reasonable amount of food. 

The more variety and tastier the food the more likely I will over eat.

I also listen to my body - Last night I know I was low on glycogen and I have a 1/2M Saturday - So I ate 2 extra bowls of cereal after dinner.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I'm really glad you've found success, congratulations!

To me the easier overall concept is to make healthy food choices and run, and the rest will figure itself out - that worked for me to maintain my lowest weight, but unfortunately they made snickers and coke taste really good and it's been a long time since I've been at that weight.

The concept of calorie counting is successful for me because it forces me to pay attention to what I'm eating, and gives me an awareness of what I'm eating so I can make better choices next time or control the portion size better next time. 

I'm at the point now where I've got to lose some extra body fat in order to improve my times, and I'm still figuring out the calories in calories out thing when factoring in higher mileage days.  In reality I should eat the bowl of cereal, as above, and focus more on quality food, but I'm trying to make a concerted effort to shift these last pounds once and for all, to improve my times. 

DoppleBock

I have and will struggle my whole life - But I do not see how "Make healthy food choices" and "Snickers and coke taste really good"  could be used in the same idea.

I have counted calories for so long, that I do not count for the day, but I always know how much I am eating each time I comsume foods.

I am sure I will tally it again in the near future

Battle on sister!

I'm really glad you've found success, congratulations!

To me the easier overall concept is to make healthy food choices and run, and the rest will figure itself out - that worked for me to maintain my lowest weight, but unfortunately they made snickers and coke taste really good and it's been a long time since I've been at that weight.

I have and will struggle my whole life - But I do not see how "Make healthy food choices" and "Snickers and coke taste really good"  could be used in the same idea.

Right now I weigh 123.6lb, I'm 5'3 and unfortunately have 24+% BF.  My BF is good for a woman, but it's not good for a runner.  Back 'in the day' when I never ate junk food but never restricted food/calories, I easily maintained 110lb (and below that if I controlled calories).  Aside from my increasing age, I think if I cut out the junk I would lose weight gradually, but gradual is for suckers, so right now I'm counting calories. 

I don't really know how to re-word what I said - if I cut out junk I'll lose weight without tracking, but junk is so amazingly tasty.  Last week I swore off junk food until the end of the year, giving myself the allowance of 'junk' to fuel my long runs, but also letting myself have coke (restricted of course).  It's tragic that I'm looking forward to my first 50mi in October, partially because they give you m&m's and cookies. 

kcam

But I do not see how "Make healthy food choices" and "Snickers and coke taste really good"  could be used in the same idea.

Snickers and coke taste like paradise-found but you can still "make healthy food choices" by refusing to partake.  A snickers bar or a coke are not unhealthy if ingested rarely.

DoppleBock

This I get ~

I have never reached a reasonable running weight - 6'3 and 175 would be reasonable.  I have run maybe 1 race < 200 pounds, but probably not as I weighed 195 before 5 days in Paris then raced.

All my PRs are 200-210.

#1 Alchohol is evil ~ I love it as much as ...

#2 Sweats are hard to start, because I will not have a little

#3 Volume ~ I have no regulatory system where I ever get a feeling of satisfaction, I just choose to stop or my stomach hurts so bad I have to stop until I can belch.

I can only get away with not counting calories and lose weight if I am running > 500 miles per month.  Then it still takes a lot of good choices.

If I want treats, I usually try and take at work the afternoon before a 3+ hour run.  But its dangerous ... Sometimes I cannot stop at 1 nutty bar (480 calories) or candy bar (250-300 calories).  I am much better since they took the frosted Honey Buns out of the Vending Machine!

I don't really know how to re-word what I said - if I cut out junk I'll lose weight without tracking, but junk is so amazingly tasty.  Last week I swore off junk food until the end of the year, giving myself the allowance of 'junk' to fuel my long runs, but also letting myself have coke (restricted of course).  It's tragic that I'm looking forward to my first 50mi in October, partially because they give you m&m's and cookies. 

I was nodding in agreement on everything until I saw the number 500. 

must admit I did some math at that point and got confused. 

must admit I did some math at that point and got confused. 

let's just say if you wanted to improve 4 minutes in the marathon you could go ahead and try to drop that last 5 pounds.  or you could run half of the miles he does and get those 4 minutes and then some. 

oh yeah I got that point, I specifically tried to lose 5lb before Boston, just to take 4mins of my time. 

I was referring to the running > 500 miles per month. 

Didn't you say you were running > 500 miles per month?

not me. 

I was referring to the running > 500 miles per month. 

you can read my reply again if you want and it should make sense at some point. 

Prince of Fatness

Counting calories only works if you are not counting too many.

Not at it at all. 

Saratoga Softy

I started using Myfitnesspal back in May and love it.    I pretty much stopped doing any activities for the last 15 years.   Back in Feb during a Doctor's visit I wasadvsied that if I did not get my blood pressure down, they were goign to start me on meds.   I did not want that......

So I started biking.  March = 39 miles, April=55, May 98, June=155 and July 156.  I also started swimmig and using MyFitnessPal. 

With a goal of 1850 calories a day and the excercise,  I am down 23 pounds......

Its easy to use.....I use on my iphone and laptop.  It's easy to search for foods.  You can also scan the bar code to enter data.   Once you enter a food it  stays in the sytem for easy selection for the next meal or snack.

Male 44, 6'1 , 242 and still losing in upstae NY

Counting calories only works if you are not counting too many.

This is pretty funny, but its also VERY true....

Champions are made when no one is watching